Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Summary Info on a File System Data report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
mhammonde
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote mhammonde Replybullet Topic: Summary Info on a File System Data report
     Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 2:47am
Hi Folks,
This is my first post!
 
I am building a report using the File System Data datasource option in Crystal Reports 10 and finding an odd problem that I cannot find a resolution to.
 
In my report I have two fields:
- File Name
- Author (Summary Info)
 
The first field is, obviously, the name of the file on the network drive I have pointed the datasource at. The second field is pulling data from the meta data of the file itself (the same as when you right-click > properties on a file and look at the summary tab in Windows Explorer).
 
** Addition: I am reporting against Microsoft Word .doc files only **
 
My problem basically is that whilst the Author information is being returned, the text must be in a non-text format because it just comes through as jargon.
 
How can I get CR to return plain English in my report?
 
 
Many thanks! :)


Edited by mhammonde - 07 Oct 2011 at 2:48am


I dabble in HTML, PHP, CSS, Java, SQL, PL/SQL, Crystal Reporting and BEER. Im the Jack of all trades but master of none! Except the beer drinking of course. :P

IP IP Logged
mhammonde
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote mhammonde Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 4:37am
Some further investigation and a brief read of the Microsoft Word DOC file specification suggests that the Summary Information fields are in binary format and further information can be found in the OLE 2 Programmer's Guide.... of which I do not have a copy of.
 
Hmm. Anybody else got any thoughts on this? A binary to text conversion formula perhaps? I have googled that idea with no success as yet.
 
Thanks :)


I dabble in HTML, PHP, CSS, Java, SQL, PL/SQL, Crystal Reporting and BEER. Im the Jack of all trades but master of none! Except the beer drinking of course. :P

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum