Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Disappearing results.. Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
khyulitz10
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Quote khyulitz10 Replybullet Topic: Disappearing results..
     Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 11:41pm
Hi,
 
I'm trying to make an Invoice layout form in CR 2008 but I'm stucked in getting results. I've made a formula field for Sold To and Ship To and these work fine. (placed them in the Page Header)
 
this is the formula I am using...
 
Replace ({InvcHead.Calc_ShipToAddressList},'~' ,ChrW (13) )
 
But why is it everytime I make a new formula like formula for FaxNum, PONum etc, Sold To and Ship To disappear? plus it's not giving any info at all..it's just a blank box with nothing in it. I don't understand, please help..
 
I'm really new to this so I guess there's a simple answer here.
 
Thanks in advance...
 
 
Kind Regards,
Lynne
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:29am
can the box grow?  You replace the ~ with a Carriage return, which usually introduces a new line...so if your box is only 1 line tall, the data you want is probably above or below textbox.
 
I would try either making the box larger or setting 'Can Grow' on for the box.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:40am

+1 on lockwelle's suggestion.

another possibility here is if what you are describing is that when you add a new formula field to your report items that were perviously showing suddenly disappear this is likely a table join issue. If you do not explicitly enforce a table join in the database expert it only enformce the join once you use fields from both tables in the join. This can make your data seem to 'disappear' in the middle of report design.
IP IP Logged
khyulitz10
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Quote khyulitz10 Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 4:11am

Thanks lockwelle!

I came across with what you are suggesting but I'm afraid this is not the issue this time..thanks anyway, will keep that in mind.
 
and Thanks DBlank too..
 
I suspected that it is to do with joining table and I think this is really the problem. Your explanation made it really clear for me. I'm currently looking at the Database Expert now and I've got like 25 tables joined to each other. Will try to check the links of every table. Do you have any advice for me please? thanks..
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 4:38am
it will be hard to tease out but this is likely your problem.
Crystal does not enforce a data set from a table join just by doing the join (like in SQL) unless you set the enforcement in the link to do this.
 
So say you have a table of all colors (table A where 5 exist) and a table of used colors (table B where only 3 have been used).
if you inner join the tables you would think you only will get 3 results.
but if in you report you do not enforce the link and you use the colors field from table A you will get 5 records. As soon as ou add any field from table B to the report it will enforce the join and change your result to 3.
 
It further complicates as you have add tables but the idea remains that when you use a field from any two tables it will enforce all the joins that are need to get to that data.
 
to help you know when your data is dropping and by how much you can add a COUNT of a field from your main table (your primary table like all customers), place it in the report header, se the number and then one by one add a field from each table and watch to see when the number changes and you will know which join is causing the data rows to change.
Using outer joins may correct that problem but you won't know until you know where the issue is.


Edited by DBlank - 18 Aug 2011 at 4:42am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 9:32am
Thanks, I have been trying to figure out that Enforce Table Joins option...it made no sense.
 
As you know, I only use stored procs, so I never encounter this issue, but that was a nice explanation...
 
How confusing that CR would do that.
 
Thanks again
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum