Is there a way to interrogate the current database within a
formula field?
The situation is that I need to obtain a value from a lookup
table within the current
database, based on a field within my current record. However, I can’t link the lookup table because the field in my
current record is a string even though the value is numeric, whereas the link
field in the lookup table is a number (integer). Trying to link throws up a
type error.
The second problem is that there’s a value that the current record
field can have, that is not represented in the lookup table. That’s a “-1” to
indicate a special case. I realise that if I could link tables then I would
need an outer join.
I can probably handle this by using a hidden subreport with
shared variables, but that seems a bit cumbersome. I wondered if there was
another way, using an SQL Expression or an SQL Command perhaps. Or some way of
running an SQL query in a formula field.
Regards, John