Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Group records become detail records Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
wbbroyles
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote wbbroyles Replybullet Topic: Group records become detail records
     Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:13am
I have a completed report with several levels of grouping that I'm happy with.  However, now the records from this completed report (technically GF4 records) need to become the detail records in a separate report -- so that I can group them again.

Basically, I have this from my first report (all are GF4):

203 4010013882 0
203 4010027816 0
203 4010036890 0
8832 4060046552 0
8832 4060046552 52
92591 4650029017 0
92591 4650029017 0
96938 4730028615 0
96938 4730028615 0

and my next report needs to take these rows as detail records, add some calculations and summaries, and then group them again.  In this example only the last four rows get grouped into two:

203 4010013882 0
203 4010027816 0
203 4010036890 0
8832 4060046552 0
8832 4060046552 52
92591 4650029017 0
96938 4730028615 0

How can I make the grouped rows of a completed report into the detail rows of a new report?  Thanks in advance, of course.

Brad
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 3:20am
i doubt that it will be easy, I don't know if this will work, but this is what I would try:
 
make your working report (or a copy), a subreport of the new report.
create a group in the new main report that matches gh4 in the subreport
make shared variables in the subreport that will return the values that are your 'new' details
modify the subreport to only display the GF4 section (conditionally suppress based on a parameter--or modify a copy of the report)
use the shared variables from the subreport to drive the summaries and other 'new' features in the main report.
 
It's something to try, as I don't think that there is a direct way...
unless you just want to suppress the rest of the existing report and build the additional functionality into the existing report.  I don't know about running totals, which probably will work, but they are DBlank's forte, I would use shared variables to keep track of any new values that I wanted to add onto the report to make it 'work'
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum