Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Suppress Blank Sections Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
duffey01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote duffey01 Replybullet Topic: Suppress Blank Sections
     Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 3:26pm
Hi All
 
I have created a report using Crystal XI and am having trouble with the display. My report is as follows;
 
GH1
GH2
GH3
Details a
Details b
Details c
GF3
GF2
GF1
 
I have two subreports and three running totals from the subreports in GH3 and  in the details sections, it all works fine. I only want to see information from GH1, GH2, GF1 & GF2. Through the use of 'suppress' and making the field colour white, the information is all there but there are huge blank sections which I can't seem to get rid of.
 
I have formulas in GH3, details a, details b, and details c so I can't suppress them.
 
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
IP IP Logged
rvink
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Quote rvink Replybullet Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 4:50pm
Are you suppressing the items on the section, or are you suppressing the section itself? If you suppress the section it should not appear on your output at all. Go to report design view, right-click on GH3 and select "suppress (no drill-down)". Formulas placed on suppressed sections still run - I've done that with many reports.

If you don't want to suppress the whole section, your only option is to suppress all items on the section and make them small so you can reduce the section height. It won't completely remove the section from your output but will minimize it.

IP IP Logged
duffey01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote duffey01 Replybullet Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 4:59pm
What a speedy reply!! I did try that and, while it did get rid of the blank space, it also over rode my formulas and all my totals were zero. Most of the formulas in the report are from shared variables and, I think, if they are suppressed the report won't  'read' them.
 
I also have changed the colour to white and made them as small as possible but it doesn't help.
 
If you have anything else, I would be grateful.
IP IP Logged
rvink
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Quote rvink Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 10:34am
I have often used formulas to intialise global variables, which are placed in a suppressed header section, and other forumulas to do calculations on the global variables on other suppressed header or detail sections. The formulas all run, even though the sections are suppressed.

Hard to say what's going on without actually seeing your report. You could try emailing it to me (rvink at aut.ac.nz) and I could take a look.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 11:08am
if your shared variable formulas are using subreports they cannot be flat out suppressed. Suppressed sub reports do not run at all and therefore return no values.
Instead, suppress everything in the subreport, and then suppress the sections that these are in the main report as 'suppress blank section'. It forces the sub reports to run and then suppresses based on being 'blank' although your variable is still running.
IP IP Logged
duffey01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote duffey01 Replybullet Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 2:23pm
Thanks Dblank, I have got it as good as it's going to get.
 
 
IP IP Logged
duffey01
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2009
Location: Australia
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote duffey01 Replybullet Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 2:24pm
Thanks rvink, I appreciate the offer.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum