Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: format of crystal report - big project Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
philming
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Location: Thailand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote philming Replybullet Topic: format of crystal report - big project
     Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 7:40pm
Hello,

I work for a hotel that uses Crystal to data mine from our reservations system. Crystal Reports XI Release 2 is what we have available.

We are often requested to send out reservations confirmation messages that are not automatically generated from our system, but need to be created manually in a Microsoft Word document and then printed to a PDF before being sent to the guest - this is rather time consuming.

Currently, I do the following:

I have a Crystal report that pulls all the necessary data I require.

I export the data into a excel spreadsheet, and then link a Microsoft word document (that has pictures of the hotel, hyperlinks to property information, booking details, etc.) that mail merges the data before sending it out via e-mail in a PDF to the e-mail address specified from the Crystal report.



However, I was told that it is possible to create a Crystal report that already includes pictures and hyperlinks, saving my colleagues a considerable amount of time - however, I am at a loss as how I should go about starting this.


If anyone could provide some guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. If I need to be more specific or post my question somewhere else, please let me know.

Thank you!


Edited by philming - 20 Oct 2010 at 7:46pm
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 5:02am
I've done a lot of this type of thing and letters are not that difficult in Crystal.
 
If you want to be able to print multiple letters in one run do the following:
 
- Group by Registration ID or however you identify a unique address.
- In the Section Expert for the Group Footer, select "New Page After" and "Reset Page Number After"
- Put your address information in the group header, not the page header!
 
For single ofr multiple letters:
 
- For your images - go to the Insert menu and select "Picture" and select the file that contains your image..  Place the image object where you want it and resize as needed.
 
- For your letter text, place a text object in the letter, make it as wide as the page and turn on "Can Grow".  Type in your text.  If you need to add registration infomation, you can drag fields from your data into the text object.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum