Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Not really a technical question... Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
km04
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote km04 Replybullet Topic: Not really a technical question...
     Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:23am
but can anyone recommend a good book or two for learning CR? I am looking at the following; Crystal Reports 10 for Dummies, Crystal Reports 10 : The Complete Reference, or Special Edition Using Crystal Reports 10.
 
I am a pretty quick learner but want to know from more experienced folks what books they think are good.
 
Thanks in advance for the help.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:40am
I always recommend Brian's book.  It what I have on my desk for when I need an answer.
 
I think that it is the best book.  I have looked at others, but his seems the most complete


Edited by lockwelle - 14 Oct 2010 at 3:41am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:55am
second for Brian's book
IP IP Logged
km04
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote km04 Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:56am
And by Brian you mean...the gentleman that runs this site(I think he does anyway)?
 
I've seen his link in the sticky and tried going to it but it asked for login credentials, i figured I'd try mine for this site but it did not work. I am however open to suggestions.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:02am
correct,
Brian Bischoff runs this site
I do not work for his site nor brian. I just like his book.
you can order his book from amazon or use the online versions.
 
 
IP IP Logged
km04
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote km04 Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:08am
Originally posted by DBlank

correct,
Brian Bischoff runs this site
I do not work for his site nor brian. I just like his book.
you can order his book from amazon or use the online versions.
  
 
I've seen this one when searching Borders and B&N, but it looks like it was written for XI not 10. How helpful would it be to me using 10?


Edited by km04 - 14 Oct 2010 at 4:11am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:19am

almost exactly the same.

I think XI added a few new options that were not available in X but the interface, design suggestions etc. are all the same.
The book does a good job of using images to ilistrate concepts using data and also step by step follow along design processes (i think using the northwind db). I am also a visual learner and i found Brian's book easier to follow than mosty others i looked at.
I also recommend that once you get the basic concepts down about grouping and formulas, read as many posts as you can, create sandbox reports for yourself to try and replicate the issue and the solution(s) given. It is a great way to pick up different appoaches and skills that you will apply later.
IP IP Logged
km04
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote km04 Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:24am
Thanks DBlank, good suggestions. Thanks to everyone who replied.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum