Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Grouping Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Throbbin Rods
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Throbbin Rods Replybullet Topic: Grouping
     Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 8:06am
Good afternoon all
This is my first time on the board in a long time  -  so long I had to re-register!!  I am looking for some advice.  I think the answer is probably in grouping but I am apparently too rusty to figure it out.  I have this data:
PO      Line Number     Item Number    Qty Ordered   Qty received. 
1234      1                    123c44              115                   17
1234      1                    123c44              115                   15
1234      1                    123c44              115                   93
1234      2                    123c77              100                   17
1234      2                    123c77              100                   15
1234      2                    123c77              100                   68

What I am trying to do is get the report to run and tell me how many total have been received for Line 1 on PO1234, and on line 2 on PO1234, and all the other PO's in the system.  I keep running into the same problem.  It will not calculate a total, just picks up the first and third lines if they exist, other wise only the first.  I have done all of the Link work and am satisfied that the linking is correct based on the number of open lines per PO.  I proved that out by creating a formula field for Qty ordered mi nus Qty shipped and comparing ti to known reality.  I have to believe that grouping or sub reports will do this but I was never good with sub-reports and I have forgotten an awful lot ab out grouping.  I hope this is enough info to get some help.
Thanks
Bill - Throbbin Rods
When this you see, Remember me
And keep me in your mind
Let all the world say what they may
Think of me as you find
IP IP Logged
Memoli28
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 58
Quote Memoli28 Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 8:31am
Hi Bill,
assuming 1 line is always the same item number, the following should help:
first group by PO, second group by Line and make a summary on field QTY received on second group level.
 
rg.
Memoli
IP IP Logged
Throbbin Rods
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Throbbin Rods Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 8:57am
Thanks much Mermoli - this should get me where I need to get the project moving.  I was grouping by 4 fields and getting multiple lines showing up for my summary.  Now I can get this thing finished  -  Thanks very muchClap
Bill

When this you see, Remember me
And keep me in your mind
Let all the world say what they may
Think of me as you find
IP IP Logged
Throbbin Rods
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Throbbin Rods Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 2:38am
OK, I have made a fair bit of progress on this since yesterday in my "spare" time.  I have run into one issue.  I am doing a calculation for Quantity ordered - Quantity Received = Quantity still open.  I have summarized both the ordered qty and the received qty, going as follows
Summary is Ordered qty (or Received qty depending on the summary)grouped by Line number then item number.  In many cases I have the same item number in more than one line number on the same purchase order.  I am likely to have multiple partial receipts until any one particular line is complete.  I seem to be having a problem getting my receipts to sum to the right total, and in getting the receipts for line item 5 to line up with the ordered quantity for line item 5.  this makes my Quantity still open totally unbelievable.  Any thoughts? 
Thanks much
bill

When this you see, Remember me
And keep me in your mind
Let all the world say what they may
Think of me as you find
IP IP Logged
Memoli28
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 58
Quote Memoli28 Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:49am
Hi Bill,
 
you can also create a formula like:
Po&'-'&Linenumber&'-'&Item number
put this in the detail section and group by this new field and make your summaries.
 
if this is not helping, just put a more data as example and show how you exactly want the outcome and   I can have a look it Crystal.
 
rg.
Memoli
IP IP Logged
Throbbin Rods
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Throbbin Rods Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 4:08am
I was home for two days last week with my daughter as she was suffering with a severe migraine, so I worked on this and did research when she was asleep.  I got to where I thought I had it, and I was right except for orders where the PO has the same Item on different lines, such as blanket PO's.  Then it just TARFU's up the "on order" and "received" numbers, which of course hoses my calculated "still open field". I am going back to my grouping logic and reading up on it as I suppose I should have grouped something differently.  Any thoughts anyone?  I really need to get this whole grouping thing down somehow...
Thanks
bill
When this you see, Remember me
And keep me in your mind
Let all the world say what they may
Think of me as you find
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 4:25am
YOu need a summary like this?
PO      Line Number     Item Number    Qty Ordered   Qty received. 
1234      1                    123c44              115                   17
1234      1                    123c44              115                   15
1234      1                    123c44              115                   93
                                                              115                  125
1234      2                    123c77              100                   17
1234      2                    123c77              100                   15
1234      2                    123c77              100                   68
                                                              100                  100
group on PO
Group on Line Number
Create 2 Running totals
First one
Name=QTY_Ordered
Field to summarize=Quantity Ordered
Type=Maximum
Evaluate=for each record
reset=on group level 2
place in group footer 2
second one
Name=QTY_Rcved
Field to summarize=Quantity Recieved
Type=Sum
Evaluate=for each record
reset=on group level 2
place in group footer 2
If you need to comapare the 2 create a formula field as
{#QTY_Ordered}-{#QTY_Rcved}
place on group footer 2
IP IP Logged
Throbbin Rods
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Throbbin Rods Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:36am
Thanks much for all the help - I thought I had it whipped today.  Everything looked great when I started paging through the data.  then I got in about 4 pages and it was time for the Uh Oh Squad!!  On line items where nothing had yet been received, sometimes the qty received showed as 0 and sometimes it was a blank field?Shocked  I tried pulling raw data from the database straight into Excel and got no blank fields, so I don't think it is the data unless there is something fluky in Dynamics - who am I kidding - everything is fluky in Dynamics!!  Anyway, does anyone have any ideas?  I am SOOOO close to being done with this and have learned way more about grouping than I ever did before thanks to all of the help here.
Thanks
Bill
When this you see, Remember me
And keep me in your mind
Let all the world say what they may
Think of me as you find
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:46am

try and go into File>Report Options and make the

'Convert Database NULL Values to Default' as TRUE


Edited by DBlank - 29 Sep 2010 at 7:46am
IP IP Logged
Throbbin Rods
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Throbbin Rods Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:50am
Dang - I knew about that one too!!
Thanks very much DBlank - that finished up my project.  Now I just need to convince the accountants that my numbers are correct.
Thanks
bill
When this you see, Remember me
And keep me in your mind
Let all the world say what they may
Think of me as you find
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum