Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: populating dynamic parameters Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Clothahump
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote Clothahump Replybullet Topic: populating dynamic parameters
     Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 4:31am
I have a SQL stored procedure which I am basing a Crystal XI r2 report on, using an ODBC connection. The stored procedure returns around 250,000 records for a 3 month period. I'd like to have a dynamic cascading parameter for customer group > customer. In those 250,000 records, I have approximately 8 customer groups and 40 customers, so the final lists are not long.

However, the customer group and customer parameters are not fully populating. How many do populate appears to be determined by how I sort the table in SQL. If I sort by customer, I'll only see one customer group and customer. If I change it to sort by purchase date, I'll see many more, but not those that have only recently purchased. So my conclusion is that Crystal is not searching the entire table to find all possible customer groups and customers.

Is this possible? How many records will Crystal accept to populate the cascading parameters? How do I increase this number? Is there another way to do this?

FYI. I do have a customer table, but there are many inactive customers in this table that may have had purchases during this time frame. If I only include active customers, I'll miss these customers. And if I include all customers, I'll get a much longer list than I'd like for the users to sort through. I really need to pull the customer groups and customers out of the purchase data.

Suggestions?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 5:05am
IP IP Logged
djwessels
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Quote djwessels Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 11:53am
@DBlank, if there are 8 customer groups and 40 customers, then the above lists shouldn't be anywhere close to the 1000-item list limit. This appears to be a totally different issue.
 
I am having a similar problem in that the first parameter of my cascade should show 8 items, but I have not been able to get it to show more than two.
 
I'm running CR2008 against MSSQL2008.
 
Thoughts?
Many thanks,

DJW   
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 12:00pm
I could be wrong but I think that it is based on total number of rows from the source that it is reading not GROUPED amounts.
My understanding is that you could have a list of 2 LOV values and 100,001 rows. If the second LOV value is in the last row it will omit it from the LOV
(assuming the registry is set to the mentioned 100,000 limit)
IP IP Logged
djwessels
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Quote djwessels Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 12:27pm
Ah, thank you so much, that was it! Thumbs%20Up
 
Question  One more question...
 
I'm planning to publish this via InfoView - will I have to modify any settings in order for it to work properly (as I had to with my local registry)?
 
Exclamation I've moved this new question to its own thread:
 


Edited by djwessels - 30 Sep 2010 at 4:29am
Many thanks,

DJW   
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:27am
Glad you started a new thread as I do not use infoview so not sure of the answer to this question. Good luck Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum