Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Display data twice in same report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
thunderball
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Jun 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote thunderball Replybullet Topic: Display data twice in same report
     Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:04am
I have two fields in my comman object- subject and students.
I want to display data in the following manner
 there will be row which will show all the students associated with a particular subject
Below it there will be another row which will be displaying all subjects a any particular student is taking.
 
I have been told not to use a subreport.
Please let me know can I do this
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 12:39pm

Let's see if I understand you correctly...Do you need to show something like this?

Subject
Student A
Student A subject 1
Student A subject 2
 
Student B
Student B subject 1
Student B subject 2
 
Or are you trying to do something different? 
 
Was a reason given as to why can't you use a subreport?
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
thunderball
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 25 Jun 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote thunderball Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 11:46pm
Hi,
I solved the issue using cross tabs.
The reason I was asked not to sub reports was- since the subreport was based upon a student , taking student id as parameter . I was making a database call each time I needed a student's data.
This was a performance issue
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 3:43am
Assuming you have the following type of relationships between your tables:
 
Subject <--> Student_Subject <--> Student
 
Another way to solve it would be to link from Student to a second copy of the Student_Subject table and from that table to a second copy of the Subject table.  When you add a table to the report that is already in the report, Crystal will let you know that it's already there and ask if you want to Alias it.  When you click on Yes, it will add a second copy of the table with "_1" at the end of the table name so that you can reference it separately from the original table.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum