Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Not Summarizing Suppressed Data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
CMEPCMEP
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Quote CMEPCMEP Replybullet Topic: Not Summarizing Suppressed Data
     Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:24pm

This was an alternate question in a recent post of mine ("Total Periods Without Detail"), however, I failed receive any bites.  I was hoping a separate post (new subject) might draw more interest.

I am summing periods to get one total for the year per item.  That number is right, unfortunately, it is repeating the line for as many periods had activity.  I suppressed the duplicates but it continues to run into my totals.
 
Can someone advise on how not to include suppressed data from summarizing?  Or maybe eliminate it completely?
 
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 4:08pm
(my preferred method) you can use running totals with an evaluate formula or evaluate on a change of a field (like your group level field)
or
(many others preferred method) you can use shared variable formulas.
 
If you wouild like help creating Running Total(s) please post some sample row level data (including suppressed rows) awith grouping exlpained if applicable nd explain how you want it calculated and I will post back how to create these


Edited by DBlank - 27 Jul 2010 at 4:09pm
IP IP Logged
CMEPCMEP
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Quote CMEPCMEP Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 7:36am

I do know how to do a running total, however, I just want one total, one item number and on one line.  And I didn’t know how to just grab the grand total for that item only.  So I did a sum formula and it gives me the total for the item number but repeats for as many lines had activity, identical lines.  That’s my problem, just getting that one total for each item number.  I’ve never used variables in a formula.  I’m new at this.

 

The basic information is printing a separate line for each (active) period.  (I also have two years chosen in Select Expert, but that’s probably not pertinent to the solution.)

 

       ITEM                        DESCRIPTION               WAREHOUSE           SALES

 

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     25

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     10

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     20

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     10

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     25

GSMD84SB-BV             ALUMINUM RIVET                     099                     20

GSMD84SB-BV             ALUMINUM RIVET                     099                     35

GSMD84SB-BV             ALUMINUM RIVET                     099                     15

 

Here’s what I want.

 

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     90

GSMD84SB-BV             ALUMINUM RIVET                     099                     70

 

If I use the formula “Sum ({IM_ItemWhseHistoryByPeriod.QuantitySold},{CI_ItemCode})”, I get the following, and that’s when I started suppressing.

 

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     90

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     90

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     90

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     90

GSMC42SB-BV             STAINLESS RIVET                    099                     90

GSMD84SB-BV             ALUMINUM RIVET                     099                     70

GSMD84SB-BV             ALUMINUM RIVET                     099                     70

GSMD84SB-BV             ALUMINUM RIVET                     099                     70

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 7:49am
based on this sample data:
You can group on ITEM field,
place the DESCRIPTION and WAREHOUSE FIELD in the header (assuming they are the same for all the rows for ITEM) and then place your formalu field
Sum ({IM_ItemWhseHistoryByPeriod.QuantitySold},{CI_ItemCode}) in the header and then suppress the detail section altogether.
IP IP Logged
rameshcrystal
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote rameshcrystal Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 9:32pm
First you have to do group by Itemcode,then can you do the running total
(Evaluate change of group), it will work. it won't give any duplicate records.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum