Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: data linking Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Pyrotecnix
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote Pyrotecnix Replybullet Topic: data linking
     Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 5:18am
I have two different databases one has a description of the unit. The other has a ID of that same unit in a numerical format the problem is the unit could be called unit 23 and in the other database it is labeled as 23 but in numeric form. I have trimmed the end of the string and converted it to a number but how do I tie the description field that I have made into a numeric to the other database which only has a numerical id there is no way to link it in the database visual link area. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm using Crystal Reports XI.

Edited by Pyrotecnix - 19 Jul 2010 at 5:19am
Crystal Reports XI
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 6:48am
you have to make the data type change in your source (like a view or stored proc) or use a Command in Crystal. Then you can link. Make a data conversion in a formula field happens after the tables is already linked and cannot be used for that step.
IP IP Logged
Pyrotecnix
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote Pyrotecnix Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 6:52am
Thats why I was asking if there is a way in Crystal Reports to change the type and have it link inside of Crystal Reports..If there is any information on that I would love to take a look at it.
Crystal Reports XI
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:16am
Use a COMMAND
You can do asearch on that keyword
or use crystal help for that. It is pretty good
here is a sample link
 
 
IP IP Logged
Pyrotecnix
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote Pyrotecnix Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:21am
Yeah I'm already doing something similar to that. But to get the fields to match I would have to do a select expert formula to make it match those fields?
Crystal Reports XI
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:26am
nope.
You convert one table (the text to numeric is better) into a Command object. Select all columns and add one more doing your data type conversion in the COmmand using SQL.
Now as your data source use one table (the numeric value one) and the Command object, then link the 2 together.


Edited by DBlank - 19 Jul 2010 at 7:27am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:28am
You link using the DataBAse connection GUI interface by dragging the field from one table tot he command table
IP IP Logged
Pyrotecnix
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote Pyrotecnix Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:29am
NM I miss read the post Ill give that a shot and see what happens.
Crystal Reports XI
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum