Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: SubReports and charts Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
Curbish
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Curbish Replybullet Topic: SubReports and charts
     Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 5:35am
Hi All,

I have created a report with 2 sub reports, I had to use sub reports as the table links were conflicting and causing duplicates.

I am attempting to use shared variables to get the data out of the sub reports, Which succeed with no issue.

However I cannot get the data into a pie chart (client request) any suggestions on where I am going wrong?

Crystal reports version is XI

Kind Regards

Tom
IP IP Logged
CircleD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 251
Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 3:16pm
If the links were causing the duplicates you can place {Table.IDField}=previous({Table.IDField}) in the formula field for the section expert, Suppress(No-drilldown) .Or failing that you can format the field in question and just check the box Suppress If Duplicated.

I'm not real familiar with charts but it's my understanding you can only chart grouped or summarized fields to a chart.If I'm wrong no doubt someone will be along and correct me.
IP IP Logged
Curbish
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Curbish Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 12:56am
You are right about the summary, so in the sub report i used the count({Table1.coloumn5}). But the issue is in the count when the duplications appear, for example one table will have 150 rows the other 200 and I will always get back 290-320 depending on the data.

but I will try your suggestion, and give it a go.

thanks for the help
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 3:55am
i am not aware of a way to use shared variables in charts so rethinking the report design as CircleD suggests may be a more viable solution for you.
You can handle summary issue with duplicates by using variable formulas or Running Totals do do your calculations.
IP IP Logged
Curbish
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Curbish Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 4:11am
I see, I am considering a redesign of the report, can I include a table without a link to another table?

The reason I wonder is I only want to use 1 table for a count, the other I want to display the information as well as do a count, (which lead to my sub report idea).

The link is what is causing the issue because the tables share a couple columns of the same information, because they both link to other tables and are used in separate instances.

Or can I link the tables to 1 table with a common field? to prevent duplicate data?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 4:31am
you really have to link the tables. If you don't it will still duplicate even worse than before.
if you are just getting counts frmo one table can't you do a distinctcount of the field?
if you post sample data form each table and what you need it to look like and do in the report someone can gnerally give you a more specific design approach.
IP IP Logged
Curbish
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Curbish Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 6:52am
I tried doing a distinct count and it was returning incorrect numbers (awkward I know).

Data wise I have the following layout, and I cannot change the arrangement of the tables.

we have these tables required for the report:
Site
Area
Location
Item
ItemType
TestList
TestNextDue
TestResult

They are linked in the following way

Site.siteID - Area.SiteID
Area.AreaID - Location.AreaID
Location.LocationID - Item.LocationID
Item.ItemTypeID - ItemType.ItemTypeID

Item.ItemID links to both TestNextdue.ItemID and TestResult.ItemID

TextNextDue.TestID and TestResult.TestID link to TestList.TestID

The TestNextDue Table is a list of when tests are due and what tests, what date and last test date.

TestResults is a list of all results and what test they were and what date.

I need the report to show the following:

1. a Pie chart comparing the number of rows in the TestResults table, against the Number of rows in the TestNextDue Table

2. A breakdown of the TestNextDue Table. (Test Results Table is clearly for the count to compare in the pie chart)

3. the above to be filterable by date.

The problem Arises when Include both TestsNextDue and TestResults table in the same report. Causes the duplicates as the common fields are TestID and ItemID
Which is why I resorted to 2 subreports to get the numbers out.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the above would be greatly appreciated and I will try and update if I make any progress.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 7:55am
so testnextdue and testresults do not have primary key field per table that you can use for distinct counts?

Edited by DBlank - 08 Nov 2011 at 7:56am
IP IP Logged
Curbish
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Curbish Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 2:25am
They do have a primary key generated by autonumber within the database, I did not think to try that.

Would I use distinctcount({TestNextDue.TestNextDueID})?

And assuming that if I use record selection to filter the results it should return the correct numbers?

Thanks for the thought, I will give it a go.

Curbish
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 3:40am

I don't know your data well enough to tell you for sure how to do this. Just trying to point you in a direction that might work.

be careful with the record selection because it can turn outer joins into inner joins


Edited by DBlank - 09 Nov 2011 at 3:45am
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum