| Author |
Message |
Edchad5533
Newbie
Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
|

Topic: Creating HTML using Central Mgmt Console Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 1:39pm |
 I been asked to embed a HTML view of report in an email. I know this can be done within Crystal using the Export option and then sending the resulting HTML. This report is run daily and I would like to automate the process using the Central Management Console. However, I cannot find any option which will allow me to do the above. A Third party tool may be the only option if one exists. Any suggestions? Edited by Edchad5533 - 28 Feb 2008 at 1:40pm
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
hilfy
Admin Group
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
|

Posted: 29 Feb 2008 at 2:50pm |
I'm not sure if you can do this as HTML, especially because the "Schedule to Email" functionality attaches a file rather than embedding the report in the email itself. However, here is where I'd look :
- Click on the object in the CMC.
- Go to the Schedule tab.
- Click on the "Destination" link inside the tab, set your email destination, and click on "Update".
- Click on the "Format" link inside the tab and set your format.
I'm using BOE XI, not Crystal Server. So, depending on what you're using, things may look different.
-Dell
|
|
|
IP Logged |
|
rcbricker
Newbie
Joined: 12 May 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:42pm |
Hi,
I have a similar question. I have been asked to have our Crystal guy schedule a report. This report needs to have an email sent to the department head when it is run. Is this something that can be done in Crystal XI or do i need an outside publisher?
Thanks
|
IP Logged |
|
hilfy
Admin Group
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
|

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:12pm |
Where is the report being "scheduled"? If it's in Crystal Server or BO XI, then it can be scheduled to email as mentioned above. However, if all you have is Crystal, you would need either a third-party tool (see www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html for a pretty comprehensive list of what's available) or a separate program would have to be written to handle the schedule and email.
-Dell
|
|
|
IP Logged |
|
rcbricker
Newbie
Joined: 12 May 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 5:20am |
I will have to check with our crystal guy as to where the report is being scheduled.
is BO XI and integral part of crystal?
Also I have heard from our crystal guy that using third party publishers would allow us to set up emails, but that the 3rd party program would cause certain aspects of crystal to not work. Is this true? If so once we get the 3rd party program can crystal be used without it? That would fix the 3rd party's interference with certain aspects of crystal.
Thanks in advance
|
IP Logged |
|
hilfy
Admin Group
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
|

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:01am |
Crystal can be part of BO XI, but it's not required. BO XI is not part of Crystal.
I have not heard anything about 3rd party products interfering with Crystal. Crystal can always be used without it. However, you can't "schedule" Crystal reports without using some other software - whether it's Crystal Server, BO XI, or a 3rd party tool.
The link that I posted above leads to a site with a fairly comprehensive list of the 3rd party tools that are available. I've seen numerous posts here and in other forums that talk about some of these products and how well they do - I've seen almost none that talk about problems with them.
-Dell
|
|
|
IP Logged |
|
rcbricker
Newbie
Joined: 12 May 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:38am |
|
Thanks for the reply. I have not even begun to learn crystal (though I do have a good background with Excel and Access). Which are the best 3rd party programs to use. Which if any are good, but will not support emailing notifications as to when a report is run (and whether it has been run with errors)? I am desperate to get this implemented as the crystal guy does not have time to constantly check the many reports that are run and whether they run properly, and of course getting a department head to do this daily is like pulling teeth even though it is a report they requested.
|
IP Logged |
|
Lugh
Senior Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
|

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 10:29am |
|
Seriously, go look at Ken's site that hilfy linked to. It has all that information, including reviews. Anything we could say here would be essentially copying and pasting his work.
|
IP Logged |
|
hilfy
Admin Group
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
|

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 10:32am |
I can't necessarily point you to a "best" one as I have not specifically used any of them. We use BO XI for scheduling and I've done extensive work in the BO XI SDK to handle the specific things that we need.
Ken Hamady (whose link I gave you) is a consultant who has some knowledge of what's available. I believe he doesn't put anything on his site that he doesn't think it good.
So, you'll basically have to do your own research on this one. Sorry!
-Dell
|
|
|
IP Logged |
|
rcbricker
Newbie
Joined: 12 May 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 10:42am |
I checked out the site and will need to work with our crystal guy to determine which would best suit our needs.
Thanks for the help everyone.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|