Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Threshold values in charts? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Tim Wise
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Tim Wise Replybullet Topic: Threshold values in charts?
     Posted: 07 May 2008 at 2:50pm

I want to plot computer utilization over time. I would like to have threshold values (green, yellow, red) on the chart background to show when utilizations exceed the SLA thresholds.

 
I've done this before in other charting tools, but I didn't do it with background colors; I added series to the data for the threshold lines then colored the lines. Having the thresholds as background shades is nicer and then the lines represent the real data (the computer utilizations.)
 
It's similar to the thresholds color used in the Xcelsius gages. Can do you do this in regular charts?
 
Thanks.
--
Tim
IP IP Logged
Lugh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:44am
One somewhat kludgy option is to create a picture in Paint of your thresholds.  You can then set this picture as the background of your graph.  It won't be actually tied to the values of the graph, so the borders may end up a bit off.  But, if your chart design is pretty static, it should give you the effect you want.


IP IP Logged
Tim Wise
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Tim Wise Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:45am

Liming up the background with the axis would be easier for utilizations which have a constant y-axis of 0-100%. But for other metrics (e.g. response time) it's harder. Also, the thresholds will be input parameters.

Thanks for the ideas.
 
 
--
Tim
IP IP Logged
Tim Wise
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Tim Wise Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 1:24pm
I got somewhat of this effect by formatting the fill color of the chart frame. I defined a gradient that went from green to red. Looks reasonable good for utilizations.
--
Tim
IP IP Logged
Lugh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Tim Wise

I got somewhat of this effect by formatting the fill color of the chart frame. I defined a gradient that went from green to red. Looks reasonable good for utilizations.


Really?  Huh.  I've never gotten gradient to work for that sort of thing.  Not enough control over it, and the lack of a clear dividing line, always made it unsuitable.  If it works for you, though....


IP IP Logged
Tim Wise
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Quote Tim Wise Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Lugh

 I've never gotten gradient to work for that sort of thing.  Not enough control over it, and the lack of a clear dividing line, always made it unsuitable. 
I'm playing and exploring options.  I'll probably end up adding data series for the thresholds to get the clear dividing line.
 
I new to Crystal. I've seen thresholds in Xcelsius gages. Do you know if Xcelsius charts have thresholds?
 
Thanks.
--
Tim
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum