Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Sort by summary Values Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
bigmax098
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote bigmax098 Replybullet Topic: Sort by summary Values
     Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:00pm
I am doing an invoice listing by customer and have a summary at the end of each customer. Rather than sort by customer name, i want to sort in descending order the sales by customer. Is there a way to sort by summary values? Basically, It would be like:
Customer X - $5,000
Customer A - $3,000
Customer N - $1,500
etc.

Let me know, thanks!!
IP IP Logged
imstillfishing
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 May 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote imstillfishing Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:07pm

Hello, I'm new the forum and hope to become a good contributor.

You can do this easly. I have a repair vendor ranking report, for example that does the same thing.

First, group it by your company name.
Add a running total for your value, make sure it resets on the company name group then
Use the Group Sorting Expert (CRPTv X) and select "For this group sort "all" based on "sum of (your totals value here)"

 
Hope that helps.
IP IP Logged
bigmax098
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote bigmax098 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:21pm
I got to the part of getting the totals in there for each group...but now my "group sorting expert" icon is grayed out...do you know why this would happen? 
IP IP Logged
imstillfishing
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 May 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote imstillfishing Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:45pm
In my report, the example I used, I have supressed the group heading and the details. So, I am only displaying the group footer. However that doesn't effect it.
The only thing I can think of maybe your data arrangement. Are your tables linked properly?
 
Also, I used the summary function, not the running totals function for my value to sort on. Bet that's it.
IP IP Logged
bigmax098
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote bigmax098 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2008 at 1:01pm
That was it...I had to use the summary function rather than the running total. thanks for your help!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum