| Author |
Message |
fusion
Groupie
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 93
|

Topic: Passing Shared values in detail section Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 11:37am |
Is there a way I can pass the values in the subreport detail section to the detail section of the main report?
for example: In subreport details section I have
col1 Col2 col3
Matthew 20 $1000
Cathy 40 $800
Tony 50 $750
I need to pass these columns to the main report detail section. I have other columns in the subreport too but I want to pass these.
Any ideas if this is possible.
Thanks in advance
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 4:32pm |
Yes, you can pass data from the subreport to the main report. The key is that you have to create formulas that declare the variables as Shared. Second, the subreport has to appear in a section BEFORE the section that is sharing the data. The forces the subreport to execute prior the the place on the main report that is uses it. I give complete coverage of subreports and tips and tricks for sharing data in Chapter 9 of my Encyclopedia. You can find out more about my books at
Amazon.com
or reading the Crystal
Reports eBooks online.
Edited by BrianBischof - 25 Apr 2008 at 4:33pm
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
fusion
Groupie
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 93
|

Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 5:16pm |
Brian,
Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with shared variable. But I never worked on a requirement where I had to pass all the values of subreport detail section to Main report detail section. I will also have to be able to use those values in further calculation.
I can have very few to hundreds of records. I need to be able to pass all those values. Someone told me that it is possible and suggested not to use it but did not tell me how.
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 11:58am |
|
The only way to do it is to use an array for each column in the subreport. That way the number of elements is dynamic and can match however many rows you have in the subreport.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
fusion
Groupie
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 93
|

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:47am |
Brian,
Thank you for the reply. I tried to create a formula where I declare the column as an array and it gives me a message saying that the result of a formula can't be an array.
How can I do this?
Thanks
|
IP Logged |
|
Seva
Newbie
Joined: 01 May 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10
|

Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:25pm |
1. Insert Section Below and switch them up -- I mean Detail Section in Main Report
2. Place your Subreport in the new upper Detail Section of Main report.
3. You have to link Subreport to Main Report on the detail level
4. Pass your Shared to the Main Report.
5. Minimize Detail Section in Subreport and get your Shared Variable in Sub
out of Subreport canvas -- you can't suppress it, and you don't want to display it.
Thanks,
Seva
|
IP Logged |
|
fusion
Groupie
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 93
|

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:19am |
Seva, Thank you for trying to answer my question. for example: In sub report details section I have
col1 Col2 col3
Matthew 20 $1000
Cathy 40 $800
Tony 50 $750
I have a main report and it should get values for col4 and col5 from sub report for the corresponding names.
Col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 Matt axe mgr 20 $1000 Cathy car gen 40 $800 Tony toy CIO 50 $750
How can I do this?
Edited by fusion - 03 May 2008 at 12:19am
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 1:48am |
|
For the formula, you dont' want to return an array. Just return a dummy value that isn't used. You want to use the formula to declare a Global variable and share that with the main report. Then to display all the values on the main report, you will have to create a string that concatenates all the values together. If you need to have them all on a separate line then you can put a Chr(10) between each one for a carriage return (I think it's a 10, I forget right now...). That should do it.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
oscarfernandez
Newbie
Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
|

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 12:31pm |
Hi All- Apologies since I am new to this forum. I have seen this post & others that describe how to use a shared variable so that you can display a value form a sub report in the main report. However I have the same need of this posting to show the detail info from the sub report in the detail sections of the main report. I followed the steps for the creation of shared variables (sub report in the header section & shared variable in the section below) but when displaying in the main report it only shows me the last value in my grouping. See my example below:
Subreport values:
|
Month |
AvgPtsSeen |
|
Jan |
25 |
|
Feb |
26 |
|
Mar |
20 |
Main Report Vaues
|
Month |
TotalPtsSeenDr |
|
Jan |
17 |
|
Feb |
16 |
|
Mar |
18 |
Current Result:
|
Month |
TotalPtsSeenDr |
AvgPtsSeen |
|
Jan |
17 |
20 |
|
Feb |
16 |
20 |
|
Mar |
18 |
20 |
Desired Result:
|
Month |
TotalPtsSeenDr |
AvgPtsSeen |
|
Jan |
17 |
25 |
|
Feb |
16 |
26 |
|
Mar |
18 |
20 |
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Oscar
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|