Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Topic: Commenting // Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 1:51am
Please help
When I comment a line using the //
button in the formula editor, it becomes green, all is well, the bit is not incorporated next time I run things but the next time I open the editor that bit is also gone for good.
This is no good! I need to keep these! It always happens!
Is this a bug? Is it an option I can switch on or off?
Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 2:41am
You've confused me here. Maybe I've described it wrongly.
To put a comment after a line, sure nothing changes - it's a note. But I mean commenting OUT a part of a formula - one line or several. I see more in SQL than Crystal. An everyday need to remove a function of some of a job in a whole for testing purposes and find what's wrong.
Anyhow, what I'm saying is that if I do this, either by typing this // in front of a line or using the (version XI for all I know, maybe 10) this function is removed when run, but going back the the editor it's removed. That is UNACCEPTABLE! I have to REMEMBER what that was and type it in again! My car's steering wheel just fell out of the window! Can't have this! Did this ever happen to anyone? Anyone use a programming editor? PHP, C#, VB, ASP? SQL? Can't have commented-out text disappearing! Used Crystal since 2001 and it never happened!
Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 9:08am
I have an explanation why I might have thought this. Only one example so far. You should be able to see why I've been so troubled, as a SQL developer...
If I comment out a line, an OR condition, when I come back to it and it seems the line has now been deleted, maybe it's been put somewhere else in the script in a special order which I'm not aware of. The order doesn't matter, but it's nice to have it in the order you put it in. Not nice.
Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 10:38am
The only place that commenting out part of a formula will remove the comment when you next go into the editor is in Selection Formulas using the Select Expert.
It won't remove the comment if you access the selection formula by
Report/Selection Formulas/Record . I recommend you always use this method and avoid using the wizard driven Select Expert at all.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum