Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Field Not Seeing All Rows In Table? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
LCS2008
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote LCS2008 Replybullet Topic: Field Not Seeing All Rows In Table?
     Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 6:19am
Hello,

Currently I am editing a Jobs In Progress report for my company. It involves input paramaters such as the customer service rep that booked the job, booked date, and customer name.

I had a sales rep try and run a report looking up one of our customer names, and the report outputted nothing. After looking into this, I clicked the customer name field and browsed the data. I found that the list of customers listed begin with A but end at P (in alphabetical order). The customer name he was looking up began with a T. When I checked the table in SQL, I saw all our customers' names A-Z. Does Crystal limit the number of rows it is able to manage, or is there something I am not doing correctly? This is very important as this report is for use by upper management.

PS: Everything else works fine with the report, so I don't think it is anything code-related.

PPS: I'm brand new at crystal reports so please forgive my newbiness.

Edited by LCS2008 - 01 Apr 2008 at 7:04am
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 52
Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 2:36pm
A inner join can act as a filter, or the is a less then filter in place in the select expert
IP IP Logged
yggdrasil
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Quote yggdrasil Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 5:43am
There IS a limit on the number of records a parameter will use if you create the lookup by linking to a table.
We have reports that have to select from a list of schools in the county, and we cannot set the parameter selection to the school names as they are in the table, or some go missing.  We have to import a full list from a text file. Luckily, the number of schools and their names do not change very often, as this makes updating a problem.
Quite how you will do that with a list that varies a lot I don't know, sorry.
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 52
Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 7:34am
Sorry I misread the orginal question.  yggdrasil is correct.  I have had the same issue.
Some odd ball solutions
Is it possible to group the the customers by the rep that supports them, or by region.  A table would be needed to link region to customers for example.  If these reports are for a single customer, this will not work.
 
A quick a dirty asp.net page with a gridview to allow you to select a bit/boolean field for the customer.  This would also require another table, and training.
 
The low tech solution my customer was happy with was to have a list on paper of valid codes.  That list being another Report.
IP IP Logged
LCS2008
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote LCS2008 Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 9:37am
Well I have imported a text file of all the customers. I can see them all now in the drop-down when selecting the value. However, now my reports return nothing at all no matter what I try.

I have added an "all" option to the list of choices so that if the user simply wants to pull up a list of all active customers between today and such-and-such booked date, then they can get a full list. My formula was fine but now I feel that it needs changing because of the text file.

Here is my full formula...Again, I'm a newb at this.

{OpenJob.BookedDate} = {?Booked Date} and
(if {?Customer} <> 'All' Then
{Customer.CustomerName} in {?Customer}
Else
True) and
(If {?CSR} <> 'All' Then
{ProdPlanner.PlannerName} in {?CSR}
Else
True) and
(If {salesperson.salesperson} <> 'All' Then
{Salesperson.salesperson} in {?Sales}
Else
True) and
(If {?Press} <> 'All' Then
{CT_JobForm.MT_PressName} in {?Press}
Else
True)

EDIT: Ok it appears to be working just like it was before. I think it is still the same because it is using the same table (which is incomplete in CR). I've imported the text file into the default values for my customer name parameter. I can choose the customer that I need from the list now, but when I run the query it's like it does not see that customer anywhere, and therefore returns nothing.

Edited by LCS2008 - 07 Apr 2008 at 12:12pm
IP IP Logged
LCS2008
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote LCS2008 Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 11:00am
Bump plz help
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 52
Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 11:23am
{OpenJob.BookedDate} = {?Booked Date}
and
(
{?Customer} = "All" or {Customer.CustomerName} in {?Customer}
)
and
(
{?CSR} = "All" or {ProdPlanner.PlannerName} in {?CSR}
)
and
(
{salesperson.salesperson} = "All" or {Salesperson.salesperson} in {?Sales}
)
and
(
{?Press} = "All" or {CT_JobForm.MT_PressName} in {?Press}
)
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 52
Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 11:29am
Make sure each parameter is the correct type.  I think Crystal will prevent you from making this mistake.
 
Also do a show SQL query and run the query in a SQL command line tool or WINSQL.  That might give you a better clue.
IP IP Logged
Iago
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 52
Quote Iago Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 11:34am
Is their a customer ID you can use.  Crystal will allow the use of a Value (Primary Key) and a Description (Customer name).  The report user picks the description, but the query uses the key.  Your fiel could be padded with spaces, or the RDMS could be set to be case sensitive.
 
did you do a select distinct customername from customers to get the list of possible customer names? 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum