Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: linking problems - HELP! please Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
PCoulter
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote PCoulter Replybullet Topic: linking problems - HELP! please
     Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 9:58am

I am fairly new to using Crystal Reports – I am having a problem and would appreciate any help or insight that anyone would be able to provide.

I am designing a report with 3 tables (we’ll call them I, O, and K)

My first group takes Tables I and O that are linked up with the column “part_no” in order to get the value “height” from the I table. – That works fine.

My problem is, my second group needs to take table I and K and link THEM together with the column “part_no” (which is a different Part No than the one that is in table O) so that the 2nd grouping is by type code.

 

How can I tell CR to link the I and O table by part_no to get the height for the 1st grouping, and then to link up tables I and K by part_no to get the type_code?

 

I’ve been working on this all week and have not been able to come up with any answers. PLEASE HELP!Cry

Thanks so much (in advance!)

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 10:38am
Sorry that you have been working on this all week (I'm having a similar problem with another software program and I've wasted way too many hours on it trying to get it to work....)

Have you looked at the Linking Tab? This is where you override the default links in CR and set them manually to be what you need. If you have looked at it, then what specifically didn't work for you on it?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
PCoulter
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote PCoulter Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 11:04am
Thank you for the response!
I have looked (played around with) the linking - when I do this I can either have the the I and O tables linked by part_no or I can have the I and K tables linked by part_no - I can even have links going from the I table part_no to both the O and K tables part_no but CR will only actually use one or the other. (I to O or I to K)
 
Any help is greatly appreciated!
(thanks again for the reply)
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 11:47am
I don't know what to say about that. If you have the links set up and CR shows the tables being connected, then it should access all the data. I'm thinking that you don't have matching data in all the tables. Thus, many records are not getting joined. Have you tried clicking on the links and making them Left Outer Joins? This might help.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
PCoulter
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote PCoulter Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 1:19pm
Yes - the part-no is a column in all of the tables, table I will match both O and K but O and K have different data in thier part_no columns.
 
I haven't tried making them Left Outer Joins (hadn't heard of it before) - I will read up on that and give it a try.
 
I'll repost my results, thanks for your help.
IP IP Logged
PCoulter
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote PCoulter Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 10:47am

Well - still no luck.

I'm going to try and explain my problem in more detail in the hopes of finding a solution.

Group 1: Inv_Master.Height (details suppressed)

 

Group 2: Ord-List-Part_no (details suppressed)

 

Group 3: Ord-List-KIT-Part-no

Ord_list_kit.part_no               inv_master.type_code                       description

Ord_list_kit.part_no               inv_master.type_code                       description

Ord_list_kit.part_no               inv_master.type_code                       description

Etc..

 

 

The inv_master.type_code in Group 3 is returning the inv_master.type_code value for ord_list.part_no (Group 2)

 

How do I tell CR to use the inv_master.type_code for the ord_list_kit.part_no in Group 3 rather than what it is currently doing, which is using the ord_list.part_no (from group 2)

 
I tried to create a SQL expression field that said
SELECT inv_master.type_code
FROM dbo.inv_master
WHERE inv_master.part_no = ord_list_KIT.part_no
But had no luck with that, since Crystal SQL syntax does not support the Select,From,Where statements.
 

 

Thanks for any help anyone may have to offer – It is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Wacko

 

 



Edited by PCoulter - 01 Apr 2008 at 10:53am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum