Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Group/Select Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
bmalone
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 14 Mar 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote bmalone Replybullet Topic: Group/Select
     Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 2:39pm

It has been years since I used crystal reports and now I'm trying to build a report against a database using Crystal Reports 10.  The issue I'm running in to is the two fields I want are in different tables.

What I've don is created a group with using the field called seq_nb and then I have added to the report in that group the field called "question".  This works fine and sorts the questions in order but I would like to have the "answer" next to the question.  The answer field is in a different table that uses a field called CS_Result_Detail_RecID to that appears to auto increase for each entry made into the table.  There is another field that ties from that table into the table with the question of course. But how can I tell crystal to grab all the answers, sort them and then display them next to the question?
 
I'm assuming there is going to have to be some sort of count of the seq_nb to know how many answers there are and then a for/next to grab the answer in relation to the number of the question. 
 
Any suggestions?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 1:41pm
Try this:
1.  Link from the Question table to the Answer table on the field that ties the two together.
2.  Group on Question. If this is the Seq_nb field, ignore this step.
3.  Put the question in the group header section
4.  Put the answer next to the question, but in the details section.
5.  Bring up the Section Expert and turn on "Underlay Following" for the Question group header section.
6.  Bring up the Sort Expert and add a sort on whatever field the answers need to be sorted by.
 
This will make it look like each question is next to its first answer.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum