Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal only allowing a left join Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
BanksySan
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote BanksySan Replybullet Topic: Crystal only allowing a left join
     Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 10:35am
Hi,

I need to perform a RIGHT OUTER JOIN, however, when I select right (or even full) from the Database 'Expert' I am always given a left just when I look at the SQL query directly (and it doesn't work when I plug it into SQL Server).

Has anyone come across this before?  Is there a solution other than exposing the data via a View and replacing all my fields, which would take a VERY long time.

Cheers all,

Dâi
"The mule with the spinning wheel."
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 11:08am
What database are you using? I've seen problems with joins when you're not using SQL Server. For example, MS Access allows Left and Right outer joins, but not a full outer join. Also, try using the ODBC driver b/c that sometimes exposes more functionality to Crystal database library.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BanksySan
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote BanksySan Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 1:34am
Hi,

I'm using SQL Express.  I can copy the SQL into the DBMS and it runs (albiet with wrong results) but I need the LEFT JOIN to be a RIGHT JOIN.  The tables are being pulled from the database via the database expert (not via a command in crystal or a view in the DBMS) and joined by Crystal.

Crystal just won't update the query.
"The mule with the spinning wheel."
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 1:47pm
Try Reversing the direction of the join - right-click on the join and select "Reverse Link".  Then you can make it a Left Outer and it should work because the table that you now have on the right of the join will then be on the left.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum