Topic: subreports using exact same data Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 11:16am
I am new to Crystal reports and use XI Pro.
I need a few subreports that use the exact same data as the main report but grouped differently. I would like to use the formulia created in the main report in the subreports.
Do I need to make a new connection for the subreports? If so, how do I access the formulia created in the main report?
In cases where a subreport uses the exact same data, does the report need to store the data multiple times?
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 2:05pm
That's an interesting question b/c I never thought about how data is optimized internally. It would seem like CR can figure that out to some degree and process it more efficiently, but I doubt if it does so.
Yes, you'll have to specify the same data source for both the report and subreport. Re using the same formula, you can't do that. Everything is duplicated. However, if you use a record selection formula in the main report and then link the key data to the subreport, then this will restrict the data that is printed in the subreport. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for or not, but it's about the only way to optimize the subreport to any degree.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
Thank-you. I do have a lot of formulas that I wish to reuse. Since I wish to use the same data but grouped differently for these click-on-demand reports, is using the drill down feature a better option?
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 3:19pm
Hmmm. I don't see how the drill-down feature replaces the subreport. Drill-down data lets you hide data and later expose it, but it doesn't group the data differently. The groups are all the same, just hidden. Thus, if you need different grouping categories, then subreports would be necessary.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum