Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Dashboard Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
dlorenc
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Location: American Samoa
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote dlorenc Replybullet Topic: Dashboard
     Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 8:50am
I want to use an image, rather than the field value, to create a dashboard type report.
 
field values are red,  yellow, green. I have the images on a URL. How to I replace the text values with the images?
 
CR 11.0.0.895


Edited by dlorenc - 07 Feb 2008 at 8:51am
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 12:10pm
To print images from the internet on your report, insert a picture object on your report at the proper location (use a default image file to start with). Then right-click on the graphic and select Format Graphic. On the Picture tab there is a Formula button for the Graphic Location property. CLick on it to insert a formula that returns the URL. Something like this maybe:
if {table.field}="red" then
    "http://www.website.com/red.jpg"
else if {table.field}="yellow" then
    "http://www.website.com/yellow.jpg"
else
    "http://www.website.com/green.jpg";

I discuss this technique in the chapter Advanced Formatting Techniques in my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia.


Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
dlorenc
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Location: American Samoa
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote dlorenc Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 3:14pm
sooooooo close....but not quite...
 
 
I just linked to icons I knew existed out on the net.
1. the formula check mark says ok..but when I save I still get a red pencil on the graphic location formula icon.
2. I just inserted a picture, not an ole...is that ok?
3. the picture I inserted is different that all those above, and is displayed...so I'm guessing it either didn't find the icons or that formula has an issue?
 
and project.healthindicator is a string field..
 
obtw..I'm about two week into using crystal..so very much a novice, and very appreciative of your help and this forum!..kudos!


Edited by dlorenc - 07 Feb 2008 at 3:20pm
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 4:15pm
Yes, inserting a picture is what you want to to. Is the pencil on the formula bar at an angle and the text "X-2"is in red? If so, then it saved the formula properly.

The reason it is showing the default image is because it isn't getting a valid URL for the formula. Start out simple and get rid of that formula (copy it to the clipboard so you don' t lose your work). Then just type in a simple URL in the formula. Make sure you get that working first and then build on by adding your formula. You'll probably see what went wrong when getting the simple URL to work. Also try using a file name on your computer as a test.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
dlorenc
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Location: American Samoa
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote dlorenc Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2008 at 6:57am
you were right on...it was a url issue...many thanks, it's working just fine now.
IP IP Logged
livez
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Location: Sweden
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote livez Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 11:13pm
Hi!
 
I want to do the same thing, and I´m using Crystal Reports 2008 Basic. My problem is I got no "Format Graphic" button in the picture tab. Does anyone know more about this?
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum