Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Desparate! Conversion help Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
moleary
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Quote moleary Replybullet Topic: Desparate! Conversion help
     Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 8:35am
I have been given the task of converting our current 8.5 reports to XI. this seemed like an easy task however I am finding it's not quite as simple as I planned. I need most of my parameters to be dynamic and cascading based of a "company" selection. The idea behind this one is that I hit some pretty heavy duty tables and oringinally it was thought we could just use a bunch of stored procedures....finding that it's not that easy. So would my next best thing to be to create views? I'm pretty new to this so any assitance would be great!
 
Would creating a view cut down on the time and hits on the database? Essentially running the whole report off a view rather than a bunch of tables?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 9:32am
If you're using Dynamice Cascading Prompts, then you should have a single view/sp that returns all the possible data for the parameters. Then Crystal will filter out that data as the user works their way through the different prompts and drills down on the different parameter selections. This will give you one hit to the database, but it will be a pretty big hit if you have lots of tables that are joined.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
moleary
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Quote moleary Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 10:51am
What my goal is that right now each report has 2-3 tables but those same tables are used for several different reports, so in theory I want to create a view that will run multiple reports. So from what your saying this should be more effiencent correct?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 11:27am
I see. Yes, a view would be more efficient. The database would store the view's resultset in its cache and re-use it when possible.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
moleary
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Quote moleary Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 11:35am
Ok that's what I had hoped...I have been banging my head on my desk with these cascading parameters....our developers wanted each of the parameters to run off stored procs and that just wasn't working and from what I see in alot of forums is that views are the way to go..... thank you so much!
IP IP Logged
moleary
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Quote moleary Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 11:42am
So as it stands now I have a view that has 7 tables in it, but it will run 8 reports..... to me this seems much more efficent then 8 reports hitting the same tables over and over? Where should I draw the line at tables within my views?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 3:57pm
It's a judgment call for each report. If you have to process a ton of data, look to make it more efficient from the very beginning with Views or SPs. If it's a small amount of data, they just use tables to make things easier on you. If it seems like the report is taking too long to print, look for other optimization tricks and play around with it.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
arclight
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote arclight Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 10:12am
Brian,
 
"...you should have a single view/sp that returns all the possible data for the parameters..."
 
I am looking for more detail on how to do this.
Is that explained in your book? CR Ency V1
 
Thanks
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum