Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: selection fomula date issues Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
geeveebee
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote geeveebee Replybullet Topic: selection fomula date issues
     Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 4:09am
Hello,

I've been modifying a report with some extra checks in the record selection formula.

This works fine when running it in Crystal Reports XI.

But when I run it from in the program where this extra report has been added to it's always gives the error that a date/time is expected.

The program uses a Business Objects plugin.

The formula that works fine in CR is listed below.

schoolyear can be something like "2015-2016" and the date "2015-8-28" I even added code to be sure it ends up at yyyy-MM-dd for the mssql query.

Any help/hint would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!


{vPackages.schoolyear} = {?p_schoolyear}

// from here is the new code

and

(

    (
        {vPackages.startdate1} < totext( {?p_month} , "yyyy-MM-dd" )
        and
       (
        isnull ( {vPackages.enddate1} ) or
        {vPackages.enddate1} > totext( {?p_month} , "yyyy-MM-dd" )
        )

    or

        {vPackages.startdate2} < totext( {?p_month} , "yyyy-MM-dd" )
        and
       (
        isnull ( {vPackages.enddate2} ) or
        {vPackages.enddate2} > totext( {?p_month} , "yyyy-MM-dd" )
        )

    )

)


IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 7:11am
What is the datatype of date fields you're using from vPackages? If it's a DateTime field, you can't compare it to a Date or a String.

If the field is a DateTime and the parameter is a Date, have you tried just comparing it to {?p_month} instead of converting {?p_month} to a string? If that doesn't work, I would use the DateTime() function to convert it:

DateTime({?p_month})

-Dell

IP IP Logged
geeveebee
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote geeveebee Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:22am
In the original table those fields are of the smalldatetime type.

As the query takes some time I use a job to fill another table every hours or so, there it is plain date (not datetime or smalldatetime) and the data is correct inthere.

Any idea why it works fine in CR11 and not when used via a BO CR viewer?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:28am
Are you using the SDK to show the report? If so, what version of Visual Studio and what version of the SDK? Also, if this is a web viewer, what browser version? If not web and not SDK, what version of the Viewer are you using?

-Dell
IP IP Logged
geeveebee
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote geeveebee Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:31am
Good question.

This is a program from an external company and it might be a VB6 app as it doesn't require any .NET framework to get it working.

I'll ask the company about this.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:37am
If there's no .NET framework required and the program is not written in Java, then you might be running into a limitation of using an older SDK with a new browser.

In any case, you need to contact the provider of that software for assistance. We have no way of knowing how they implemented the SDK, so there's no way to troubleshoot this with you.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
geeveebee
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote geeveebee Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:40am
what has the browser to do with it?

It's opening like a reporting report in a .NET program not in a webview/browser.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:42am
I assumed web. If it's a Windows app, the version of Windows you're using may also affect how it works - the older versions of the SDK don't work as well with newer operating systems.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
geeveebee
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote geeveebee Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:44am
I'm using 8.1 and I first noticed the problem when showing the modded report at an enduser on his Vista or 7 box.

I'll give that company a call tomorrow as it's almost 21:00 here.

I'll keep you posted.
IP IP Logged
geeveebee
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote geeveebee Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 9:34am
ok, I got it working Smile

apparently that scheduled job caused to make a string out of the smalldatetime altho the destination field was a date field.
(that explains the "string value expected" errors I got when I started on the formula)

when I changed that to smalldatetime and re-ran the job it works fine in CR and the BO CR viewer aswell with small tweaks in the formula.

I can now use the normal method as shown below

{vPackages.mutdatb1} <   {?p_month}

and the viewer seems to auto translate the visual date in dd/MM/yyyy to yyyy-MM-dd so that less sorrows aswell.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum