Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Intermittent scheduled rpt:Failed to retrieve data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Topic: Intermittent scheduled rpt:Failed to retrieve data
     Posted: 18 May 2015 at 4:46am
We are experiencing an elusive, intermittitent error with one of our scheduled reports.
Our Crystal Reports Server is BI Platform 4.1 [CMC Help about shows: 14.1.0].
 
 
The error is Failed to retrieve data from database. [Database Vendor Code: 8103].
 
This has occurred 3 times now. This is the only scheduled report of 20+ that exhibits this. The report runs 7 days a week. The error has always happened on Sunday night which is probably a clue. There are other scheduled reports that run 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after this one and they have never had any problems so I doubt it is a server or network outage although I guess I cannot rule out a short hiccup.
 
If I understand the DB Vendor Code part of the message properly, it is an Oracle 8103 which is [Object no longer exists]. Does not make sense to me since the report normally runs fine.
 
NOTE: I only have CMC access to the Crystal Reports Server so I cannot get to logs, or at least cannot figure out how to get to them.
 
I appreciate any suggestions on how to investigate this.
 
 


Edited by statey603 - 18 May 2015 at 4:49am
-bill
IP IP Logged
Erik
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 50
Quote Erik Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:09am
Most of the searches I did indicate this error pops up when truncating or creating a table in the database. I presume that you are not doing that, which leads me to question whether the report you are running is hitting a database that is also undergoing maintenance at the same time.

Have you checked with a DBA to see if they are doing Sunday night maintenance on that DB?

Do the other scheduled reports running around the same time hit the same database or a different database?

You may want to try scheduling during a different time of day to see if that helps too.
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:35am
Hi Erik,
 
You are correct so far as no table truncatiion or creation. It is a rather basice report that just performs a data select with a very simple joins between a few tables.
 
I have sent an email to our DBA to see if there might have been anything going on with the Oracle side.
 
My 20+ reports all connect to the same Oracle database. Other reports access some of the same tables. The weird thing is that there are other scheduled reports that run 5 minutes before and after this error with no issue.
 
Hopefully the DBA will have something to add.
 
Thanks.
Bill
 
-bill
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:38am
Erik,
This just in from the DBA [which matches your suspicion] and pretty much explains the issue.
I can say with almost 100% certainty that this failed because the weekly index rebuild job starts at 9:20pm on Sunday nights.

This would totally explain why successful reports ran at 9:15 (before) and 9:30 (after) the rebuild. The rebuild job takes about 2 minutes to complete (typically 1 min, 41 seconds)!

I think we wil be able to address this now
-bill
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum