Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Need to not repeat record Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
dmbaird
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote dmbaird Replybullet Topic: Need to not repeat record
     Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 6:27pm
Hi,
    I'm new to this forum, hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area.
So heres my issue. I have an xml file full of codes for my internet kiosk i generated (I can easily import into a pervasive sql database instead). I have my report all formated to my like and works great, except it prints all my records. I want it to only print one record, ok easy I change the select. But now the tricky part, I dont want the record to be repeated. So once the report is opened, I want the next record in my xml file opened.

My xml file has an index for each record, so I can easily use that value to base the select off of.

I've spoken with other techs in my department and came to the conclusion that it would be easiest to have a second database that has a list of used records. So when I open the report, it checks against that second table and finds a record on the first list not used on the second on.

Another way would be to delete the record on open of my report.

Both options are ok with me. So any help would be much appreciated. Thank you before hand.
IP IP Logged
Lugh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 4:43am
Er, given that it's XML, I think it would be much, MUCH easier to just add a flag field to the schema.  Set it to 0 by default, and 1 when the report is run.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to run the reports one at a time?  I mean, it's not that tricky to set it up so that it prints one page per record (say, for an invoice or form letter).  Then, you just run it once against the data source.


IP IP Logged
dmbaird
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote dmbaird Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Lugh

Er, given that it's XML, I think it would be much, MUCH easier to just add a flag field to the schema.  Set it to 0 by default, and 1 when the report is run.Just out of curiosity, why do you want to run the reports one at a time?  I mean, it's not that tricky to set it up so that it prints one page per record (say, for an invoice or form letter).  Then, you just run it once against the data source.


How would I do that, sorry I'm new to XML.

Well I have several Internet kiosks at our resort. There is a central server that generates and exports the codes that you enter to get your time. You have to go to the front desk to pay, and they print out your code, my report. So I want it so two people arent given the same code, causing a money issue.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 10:14am
I'm wondering if CR is really the way to go for this. If it's an internet kiosk using a browser, I would build a web page which displays the next record to the user. CR is designed for printing reports from a database, not interacting with the database on a regular basis.Making a simple web page would be lot easier than getting CR to do this.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
dmbaird
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote dmbaird Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 10:03pm
well our front desk software uses crystal reports. We want to incoporate this so it can affectivly be used with using room charges.

Essentially all we want is after the transaction, the report is oppened which displayed the next code in line. Our orriginal plan was to have them all pre-printed, then after the transaction grab a code off the stack. Unfortunantly our company policy states we can't leave inventory out at the front desk.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum