Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Dot Leaders Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
hmatyas
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote hmatyas Replybullet Topic: Dot Leaders
     Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 7:18pm
Hi
 
I'm just started out with Crystal Reports XI.  I have the book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia (I'm on Chapter 3).  My question is on dot leaders.  Kind of what is in Word for the indexes.  How can I do the following?
 
Water consumption . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .50.0
Well consumption . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1051.0
Total consumption . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1101.0
 
 
I found out how to format for one decimal place, I do not know how to do the dot leader.  I know I can just add dots, but I would like it to vary based on the size of the number.  I will also use it at the bottom of the report for the cost of the water.
 
Thank you.
 
Harvey
IP IP Logged
Lugh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 4:28am
Here is, IMHO, the simplest solution.

Create a text box that is nothing but dots, stretching across the entire details section.  Right-click on it, and Move it to the back.  Put your existing text boxes on top of the dot box.  Right-click on the text boxes, and go to Format Field.  Under the Border tab, select Tight Horizontal.  This will shrink your text boxes to fit the field value.  This will expose all the dots between the text boxes.


IP IP Logged
hmatyas
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote hmatyas Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 11:50am
To Lugh
 
I did what I thought you told me to do.  However, I can see the periods through the words.  It appears to work properly by the numbers but not the text field.
 
Thanks for your reply and I showed your reply to someone and they thought that it was an excellant idea to solve my problem. 
 
 
Harvey
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 12:21pm
Hmmm... I thought Lugh's idea was pretty good too. I would modify this idea slightly. Create a formula which has the the last field you are printing and concatenate the dots next to it.

{table.description} + ReplicateString(".", 100)

Stretch out all the across the row and set it 'Move to Back' like you did earlier. This will put the dots immediately after the description and have them extend out to the numeric field.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
sp_412000@yahoo
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote sp_412000@yahoo Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 6:18pm
The second answer works fro the text, but still I can see the dots under the numbers. Please help me.Cry
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 12:56am
Hi ,
 
Please post what you see in ur report..........
 
Cheers
Rahul
IP IP Logged
sp_412000@yahoo
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote sp_412000@yahoo Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 12:40pm
the dots underneath the number on the right hand side. please help me. i'm really stuck
IP IP Logged
dfolzenlogen
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Quote dfolzenlogen Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 1:34pm
Hi Harvey --
 
I tried the formula Brian proposed and set the field to the width of the page as he mentioned.  I then placed the field containing the page number/numeric info over the the dot leader field.  I right clicked on the page number/numeric field, selected "Format Field" ==>"Border"  and set Background to white.  There are no longer any dot leaders behind my numbers.  Of course, if your background is something other than white, you would format the background of the field to that color.
 
You might want to give that a try. 
 
Dixie
IP IP Logged
sp_412000@yahoo
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote sp_412000@yahoo Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 3:38pm
If I add all together then it's working. But the final kick for the goal was the advice of dfolzenlogen to set the background. Thanks so much to all of you. And big thanks to dfolzenlogen. You guys are great.!!! awesome!!!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum