Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Need help connecting to an MS SQL database Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
hello
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 85
Quote hello Replybullet Topic: Need help connecting to an MS SQL database
     Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 4:01am
Hello again:

I have been using CR 2011 for about one year now. All the reports have been coming from a Sybase server/database.

But, now we need to connect to an MS SQL server/database. I can connect to the MS SQL server/database using MS SQL Studio, but have problems connecting using CR.

When I create a new blank report, should I choose CREATE NEW CONNECTION -> ODBC (RDO)?

When I do this, a screen appears asking for the DSN. I don't think the MS SQL server has a DSN setup.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
IP IP Logged
hello
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 85
Quote hello Replybullet Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 5:42am
UPDATE to problem...

I have learned how to create a DSN by going to CONTROL PANEL -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC). The wizard creates the DSN and even successfully tests the connectivity at the end of the setup.

But, even after creating a System DSN for the MS SQL server/Database, CR won't recognize it as an option when creating a new blank report. There must be another step I am missing. I am sure this has been done before since MS SQL servers/databases are used by a lot of businesses.

Thanks for reading.
IP IP Logged
adavis
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 104
Quote adavis Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 4:02am
Go to "Create New Connection"

Select "OLE DB (ADO)"
then "Make New Connection"
then scroll down until you see "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server"

Enter your Server Name\Instance and database connection information.
IP IP Logged
hello
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 85
Quote hello Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 8:26am
That worked great adavis.

Thanks!
IP IP Logged
adavis
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 104
Quote adavis Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 8:48am
No problem.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum