Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crosstab with drill down Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Topic: Crosstab with drill down
     Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 10:51pm
Morning all,

I am trying to achieve the same layout as a cross-tab which would then allow drill down into the detail.

To elaborate, the cross tab has the following layout:

Columns: Date (by day)
Rows: Priority & Customer Name
Summarized Fields: Count of Priority

Unfortunately I do not know of a way that you can enable drill-down of a Crosstab so I'm trying to replicate the layout in a normal report scenario, however I can't think of a way to portray the Column (Date by day).

Priority/Customer name could be achieved by Groupings I believe.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 3:47am
have you considered a chart using group data rather than a crosstab?
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 4:08am
A chart - line a graph?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 4:17am
not sure as I don't know what the over arching purpose of the report is, but to drill into something from a summary, that same something must exist in the rest of the report. Meaning you have to have grouping that allows you to display the details of what was summarized. you have to architect the report to support the drill into unless you want to make sub reports for all the "drill down" options.
When you create a group and insert a summary you can insert a report header graph using the 'Group" option in the Data tab.
this mimics the same thing as drilling into a group (clicking on the group header) but puts the "drill links" into the chart.
I would start with what the end game for the report is and work backwards from that.


Edited by DBlank - 10 Dec 2014 at 4:19am
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 4:22am
The end goal is to have a report which shows data (filtered for Month To Date) in the following format:

Dates across the top (by day), priority's down the side and a count of priorities in the middle... something like this:

              01/12   02/12    03/12
Priority 1      3       1        5

I am not sure how to create something that would look like this without a cross-tab...

The only other thing I thought of was to Group by date but then it would show 1 section per day which isn't what I wanted..

does that make any sense?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:12am
i think you can group by date(set to month) then by priority
and insert a count at the priority group and do a stacked barchart
data tab
change of = 2 groups together option (only one available) 
show = count of (only option available unless you insert more summary values into group footer 2
 
try a quick report to see if it gets you where you want to go.


Edited by DBlank - 10 Dec 2014 at 5:12am
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:48am
I'll give it a go, thank you.

Won't this just give me one count (grouped by month) rather than a count per day in a month?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:55am

Group on date by day (not month) if that is what you need. I may not have read your overall set up correctly.

Just know that the value has to be derived using only a summary function (sum, count distinct count, average, etc.) and cannot use a Running Total or Shared Variable formulas.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:59am
I'll give it a go - thank you :-)
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum