Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: End of Report Not Showing Totals Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Frank in VA
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 46
Quote Frank in VA Replybullet Topic: End of Report Not Showing Totals
     Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 10:02am
Hi All,
 
I have a Crystal XI report that is run monthly with YTD parameters and creates a totals page for each county (88 of them), and a grand total page for a total of 89 pages.  We've been using the same report for years and never had a problem.  This month using date parameters 1/1/2014 thru 11/30/2014, the last county on page 88 is showing zeros for all of the totals.  The last page is showing the correct grand totals!
 
However, when I run the report YTD thru 10/31/2014 it works fine.  And if I run it just for the month of November it also works fine.  It's just when I run it for the full 11 months. 
 
Our Accounting Department cannot combine the two reports, they need it in one.
 
This report has a lot of Formula Fields and some Running Total Fields.  Are there limitations as to how much data a Crystal Report can handle?  The bottom of the screen is displaying 23,696,575 records.  I checked the report server on the BOE and the record limitation is set to zero (unlimited).  Or can it be the Formula Fields? 
 
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Frank
Frank
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 10:52am

Did you reverse the group order to see what happens?

IP IP Logged
Frank in VA
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 46
Quote Frank in VA Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 2:41am
No, I didn't but I will try that right now.  The report takes over an hour to complete. 
Frank
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 3:55am
ouch.
have you considered using a stored proc to do your summarizations to speed it up?
IP IP Logged
Frank in VA
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 46
Quote Frank in VA Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 4:06am
Well I inherited this report when a co-worker who wrote it left the company.  I've never used a stored proc with a Crystal Report.
Frank
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 4:21am

From your description it sounds like you are only needing to deliver summarized data per County and the user is not drilling into that for details.

If they need to drill into it it may not be worth it as you would need sub-reports to accomplish the detail row display.
 
If they don't drill into the data you could likely remove all the RTs and do all of your summarizations in SQL using a groupings.
 
RTs can really drag the performance down and with that many records and lot of RTs you could see drastic improvemetn in execution time by moving all the calculation onto the server and off the machine executing the report. Some people do not understand how the grouping and summary functions work and use RTs where they are not needed because they are comfortable with them but they are less efficient.
 
Maybe not worth it but since you are trouble shooting an issue you might consider if this is the right time for an overall improvement.
 
I also would not assume that the RTs are even necessary. Since you did not design it, it might be worth seeing if they can be replaced with summary functions which again would move that to the server side.
 
As for the 0's have you ever run this for a full 12 months before this month? I have a guess that the RT evaluation formula is using some sort of datediff and they missed the mark on the reset process with a month count, or some permutation of this concept.


Edited by DBlank - 05 Dec 2014 at 4:22am
IP IP Logged
Frank in VA
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 46
Quote Frank in VA Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 4:40am
You are correct, they do not drill into the report.  I actually export it as a PDF for them to use. 
 
I like your idea of using a stored proc and I will look to modify this report at some point and removing the RTs (running totals?).  I'll probably reach out to you again as I'm not familiar on how to do that.
 
Yes, I've been running this report for them for a few years.  We always run it the first week of the month and never had this problem before.
 
But in the meantime the report has completed.  The very first page now has the zeros and the field that should show a county number is showing a group of special characters/symbols.  And the last county page is not showing a county number either.  I am wondering if there is a bad code one of the tables.  I'll have to run some scripts to look at the records.
 
Thanks for your suggestions.  Once I get this report to show the correct data I'll try the stored proc process.
Frank
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum