| Author |
Message |
rvroth
Newbie
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
|

Topic: Cascading parameter - some parameters asked twice Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 2:31am |
|
Hi,
Sorry but I can't find a solution to my problem, and I hope anybody can realy help on this ...
Using CR XI, I created a report based on a stored procedure (SQL Server 2008R2) asking for 3 parameters and on several other parameters input by the user.
The SP returns from 1 to n records (usually 2 or 3) from which 1 column is used by a cascading parameter.
So the parameters are:
3 params for the SP
1 param cascading from the resultset
6 params input by the user and used on the report as well
My problem now is that when running the report, CR first asks for the 3 params of the SP on a first window and then displays a second window asking for all the params including the 3 first already asked on the first window!
As CR already knows these 3 parameters, I should expect it doesn't ask it twice or at least fulfills the input boxes with the known values.
I hopes it makes sense.
So my question is how can I avoid this from happening?
Many thanks for your answers ...
rv
Edited by rvroth - 25 Sep 2014 at 2:32am
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
rvroth
Newbie
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
|

Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:39am |
|
A precision which may be relevant: if I put in different values on the second screen than on the first one, those of the second screen will be showed on the report.
Edited by rvroth - 25 Sep 2014 at 3:40am
|
IP Logged |
|
z9962
Senior Member
Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
|

Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:43am |
|
under report options do you have Verify Stored Procedures on First Refresh enabled?
|
IP Logged |
|
z9962
Senior Member
Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
|

Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:53am |
sorry, ignore my last
message, just read again, it would be because of your dynamic prompt. For
Crystal to generate the data for this list it must first run the STOR PROC, for
this to happen it needs the values.
You could create a
command or separate qry to just generate the data required for the prompt?
|
IP Logged |
|
rvroth
Newbie
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
|

Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 4:22am |
Thanks for your answer Z9962
I understand CR must first run the SP to generate the dynamic list and yes, indeed, I can write a new query to generate the data required.
But I don't see how to make CR only ask once for the parameters.
And as I'm not a daily user of Crystal, I'm not a comfirmed expert
|
IP Logged |
|
z9962
Senior Member
Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
|

Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 4:32am |
|
by changing the dynamic list to not use a stor proc then CR will not ask for them twice as it will be able to generate the list without any user input.
|
IP Logged |
|
rvroth
Newbie
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
|

Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 4:41am |
|
ok, but this is the problem ... the list depends on the user input and this input needs to be on the report.
is there any way to tell CR to reuse the parameters intially input? actually, in my report, they're listed only once each.
|
IP Logged |
|
rvroth
Newbie
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
|

Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 2:15am |
|
thanks z9962 for your help.
does anybody else know if what I want to achieve is doable?
tanks very much
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|