Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Cascading parameter - some parameters asked twice Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
rvroth
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote rvroth Replybullet Topic: Cascading parameter - some parameters asked twice
     Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 2:31am
Hi,

Sorry but I can't find a solution to my problem, and I hope anybody can realy help on this ...

Using CR XI, I created a report based on a stored procedure (SQL Server 2008R2) asking for 3 parameters and on several other parameters input by the user.

The SP returns from 1 to n records (usually 2 or 3) from which 1 column is used by a cascading parameter.

So the parameters are:
3 params for the SP
1 param cascading from the resultset
6 params input by the user and used on the report as well

My problem now is that when running the report, CR first asks for the 3 params of the SP on a first window and then displays a second window asking for all the params including the 3 first already asked on the first window!

As CR already knows these 3 parameters, I should expect it doesn't ask it twice or at least fulfills the input boxes with the known values.

I hopes it makes sense.

So my question is how can I avoid this from happening?

Many thanks for your answers ...

rv


Edited by rvroth - 25 Sep 2014 at 2:32am
IP IP Logged
rvroth
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote rvroth Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:39am
A precision which may be relevant: if I put in different values on the second screen than on the first one, those of the second screen will be showed on the report.

Edited by rvroth - 25 Sep 2014 at 3:40am
IP IP Logged
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:43am
under report options do you have Verify Stored Procedures on First Refresh enabled?
IP IP Logged
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:53am

sorry, ignore my last message, just read again, it would be because of your dynamic prompt. For Crystal to generate the data for this list it must first run the STOR PROC, for this to happen it needs the values.

You could create a command or separate qry to just generate the data required for the prompt?

IP IP Logged
rvroth
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote rvroth Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 4:22am
Thanks for your answer Z9962

I understand CR must first run the SP to generate the dynamic list and yes, indeed, I can write a new query to generate the data required.

But I don't see how to make CR only ask once for the parameters.

And as I'm not a daily user of Crystal, I'm not a comfirmed expert
IP IP Logged
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 4:32am
by changing the dynamic list to not use a stor proc then CR will not ask for them twice as it will be able to generate the list without any user input.
IP IP Logged
rvroth
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote rvroth Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 4:41am
ok, but this is the problem ... the list depends on the user input and this input needs to be on the report.

is there any way to tell CR to reuse the parameters intially input? actually, in my report, they're listed only once each.
IP IP Logged
rvroth
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Quote rvroth Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 2:15am
thanks z9962 for your help.

does anybody else know if what I want to achieve is doable?

tanks very much
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum