Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Section Expert based on Cross-Tab Total Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Topic: Section Expert based on Cross-Tab Total
     Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 1:20am
Afternoon all,

I currently have a Crosstab report with Dates/Times on the left hand side, Computer Names on the top and the Memory Utilisation (for the computer on the date/time reported) as calculated fields.

In addition I also have Grand Total showing the maximum memory utilisation reached for each Computer.

How do I now display ONLY those computers which have over 95% in the Grand Total and then graph on those servers? Ideally I'd like to do it through Select Expert (as opposed to suppression) so it only shows the required fields in the graph, but there isn't an option...
IP IP Logged
Gurbs
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
Quote Gurbs Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 3:59am
I never worked with it before, but from my understanding, in the group expert, you can exclude entire groups after the data has been read. Maybe you could write a formula there excluding groups where the grand total is lower than 95%.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 4:06am
Thanks Gurbs,

I'm not sure what the reference name, of the Grand Total field, is. Any ideas?

I.e. with a formula I'd have to put in {Database.[FieldName]}>95 but not sure what the field name would be for the grand total?
IP IP Logged
Gurbs
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
Quote Gurbs Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 4:10am
In your Crosstab, what is your calculation?
If it is a sum, then it would be something like
sum({table.field},{group table.field}) > 95

Again, I never worked with it or tested it, so not sure exactly how it should work, but give it a try.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 4:26am
The actual crosstab calculations are Maximum (to then have a Grand Total showing the maximum). I've had a look at writing a formula in Group Expert but there is no ability to create a formula in there?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 6:43am
IN order to use a group select criteria your report structure has to use the grouping and an insert summary function.
You could mimic the CT structure as the report group structure however the group expert excludes groups after group caclulations are done so they groups would still appear in the CT.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:44pm
Hi DBlank,

Sorry that has confused me a little and I'm not sure what to do?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:08am
I was warning that the group select process would not do what you wanted to do and to not waste time on it.
 
I don't know that you can do what you are trying to do without a stored proc to identify your records before you get them into the report or some other process involved.
Perhaps a Command will suffice but It is hard to say without the specs and data source(s).
The problem you have is that you need all records to get your grand total which then gets you a percentage and then you want to exclude records.
This is better suited to stored proc.
It also has to do with dataq passes and when each item is calculated or generated in the pass. The CT in a report header or footer is created in a pass prior to the group select criteria being applied, so you cannot get the records excluded.
Maybe you can suppress entire rows in the CT but I do not think you can exclude them.
 
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:19am
Thank you!

I've tried a completely different approach (blank Report and Group Expert conditions) and I am very close to what I want.

Unfortunately you can't select by day on the report like you can with a Cross-Tab and summarising/grouping doesn't give the right results either.

You have given me some food for thought though, which I am very grateful for :-)
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:40am

If you are grouping on a datetime field you can set the group condition to be for a day (or any datetime increment). If youa re then using a group condition select on that grouping it is for 'the day'

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum