| Author |
Message |
brain
Newbie
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
|

Topic: Search report content Posted: 27 May 2014 at 8:44am |
|
In CR XI, is there any way to search a folder for report content? A user incorrectly coded a function in our database and saved several reports referring to that function. Now I have created a new function, and I need to find all the reports that refer to the old function so I can change the report to refer to the new function.
I tried opening an .rpt file using Notepad in the hopes that somewhere, buried in all the formatted/compiled data would be plain-text versions of object names. But, alas, I see nothing but compiled gibberish via Notepad, so my hope of using a plain-text search in Windows to find report content has gone the way of many a brilliant idea.
Any ideas would be much appreciated. Otherwise, we just get to wait and fix each affected report as it is discovered when it fails for a user.
Edited by brain - 27 May 2014 at 10:24am
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
Erik
Groupie
Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 50
|

Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 6:24am |
|
I don't see an easy way to do this without manually opening each report in the client. The report files are encrypted, and the search function in the web client only searches titles.
You might try creating three sample reports; 2 including the formula you want to identify but using different data sources, and another with the original data source not including that formula name in the report.
Then use a compare tool to isolate the string that lives in the first two reports that does not live in the 3rd report. This way you should get a match on the formula while excluding a match on the data source which could provide a false match.
If you can isolate the encrypted text representing your formula, you can then do a notepad search or FIND on that string.
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 5:05am |
|
you might try finding a copy of RPT Inspector, it will read the Crystal reports and can tell just about everything that you might want to know.
I remember hearing that they has some issues with Windows 7, and hopefully these have been resolved.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|