I have some Crystal Reports scheduled and using Events to trigger other reports. The current Event configuration uses Successfully Ran events to trigger downstream reports.
For example: If Rpt1 succeeds, fire the input trigger for Rpt2 to run. If Rpt1 fails, fire an event to print an Error Rpt. And so on and so forth for Rpts 2 and 3.
------ -------------- ------------- ------------------
Report Scheduled Time Input Trigger Output Trigger
------ -------------- ------------- ------------------
Rpt1 9pm None Rpt1 Success
Rpt2 9pm Rpt1 Success Rpt2 Success
Rpt3 9pm Rpt2 Success None
------ -------------- ------------- ------------------
This is working great, however, the users would like a printed notification if a report fails so they know why downstream (dependant) reports do not print.
I am hoping to use IF/ELSE logic with events.
For Example:
IF Rpt1 ran successfully
Trigger Rpt1 Success Event
ELSE
Trigger Rpt Failed Event.
Also, the Rpt Failed Event would trigger a generic report indicating a failure was detected.
It does not look like the Events support this. In the Event Settings you have to choose either [Success], [Failure] or [Success or Failure] when setting up an event. I was hoping that with one event you could take different actions based on the rpt execution status. I assume that the [Success or Failure] Event Setting does not tell you the status and is for situations where you want to trigger something regardless of the execution success status.
Alternatively, I guess I could configure 2 triggered events for each report [1 for success, 1 for failure] but it seems like it might get pretty complicated to set up the chaining of rpts and maintain the event configuration whenever rpts get updated/uploaded to the server making the existing rpt/schedule instance obsolete.
I appreciate any suggestions from anyone that might have tackled this on how to approach this.
Thanks,
Bill
Crystal Server: BI 4.0 SP4
Edited by statey603 - 08 Jan 2014 at 5:58am