Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Multiple Dynamic Parameters Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
thummel1
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 140
Quote thummel1 Replybullet Topic: Multiple Dynamic Parameters
     Posted: 14 May 2014 at 7:58am
Hi I'm using Crystal Reports 2008. I am trying to set up a report with 1 statis parameter, and 2 dynamic parameters. I can get the report to prompt nicely with my 1 static and 1 dynamic parameter. When I add the 3rd (or the 2nd dynamic parameter), I still get the prompts for my 1st and 2nd parameter(which is great), but the 3rd parameter just gives me this empty box that tells me to select my values, but there are no values to select, and I can't add anything to the box manually. So then I get stuck here...I can't just hit the X button (greyed out) or choose to escape or cancel out of the parameter prompts; my only solution is to cCtrl+Alt+Del and kill the program and start over.
 
I want my 3rd dynamic parameter to allow the end user to select as little or as many options as they wish, just like the 2nd dynamic parameter. Is this possible? If so, do I just need to tweak a few options in the parameter set up? Thanks for your help!
"Press any key to continue. Where's the 'Any' Key?" ~Homer Simpson
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:25am
How are you deploying your report? Will it be through BusinessObjects/Crystal Reports Server or through your own application? There are a couple of different options for configuring dynamic prompts, but it depends on where/how the report will be run.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
thummel1
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 140
Quote thummel1 Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 5:41am

I will be using LBI (Lawson Business Intelligence) as the tool for customers to pull the report.

"Press any key to continue. Where's the 'Any' Key?" ~Homer Simpson
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:33am
Ok, the best way to do this is going to be to add some additional unlinked tables to the report and use those for the data for your params.

In this example I'm going to use an Employee table that contains info about a person, including a "DeptID" field that links to a table called Department to get the department description. Assuming I want to give a dynamic prompt which shows department descriptions, here's what I would do:

1. Add a second copy of the "Department" table to the report. Crystal will give you a warning when you do this and then "alias" the table by adding "_1" to the end of the table name.

2. DO NOT link the Department_1 table to any of the other tables in the report. Crystal will tell you this is "generally not supported", but it this is one of the situations where it will work.

3. Create a dynamic parameter. Select {Department_1.DeptID} as the value and {Department_1.Description} as the description. Set the parameter to display the description and, if required, make it multi-select.

4. Set your selection criteria based on the parameter and run the report.

NOTE: It is very important that you do NOT use any fields from Department_1 in the report and that you do NOT use any fields from Department in the parameter! This will keep the two of them totally separate and make it so that the parameter will display data more quickly than when you use data from the report in the parameter.

You can easily set up multiple parameters using this technique.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
thummel1
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 140
Quote thummel1 Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 9:56am
Wow! Love the suggestion. I will do this and let you know how it goes!
P.S. Thank you for such thorough instructions!
"Press any key to continue. Where's the 'Any' Key?" ~Homer Simpson
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum