Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Converting a string to date YYYYMM Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
jbattelle
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Quote jbattelle Replybullet Topic: Converting a string to date YYYYMM
     Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 11:50am
Hi,
I have been trying to get this solved but cannot figure out how to convert a date that is stored as a string to convert to a date field in Crystal XI. I have the below setup but it isn't working and gives me an error stating "A number is missing here"
 
NumberVar YearPart;
NumberVar MonthPart;
 
WhilePrintingRecords;
 
YearPart:= {PremiumSoa.YrMo}[1to4];
MonthPart:= {PremiumSoa.YrMo}[5to6];
 
Date (YearPart,MonthPart)
 
ANy help would be great. I do need to be able to do calculations.
 
Thanks,
Jason
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 12:10pm
NumberVar YearPart;
NumberVar MonthPart;
 
WhilePrintingRecords;
 
YearPart:= tonumber({PremiumSoa.YrMo}[1 to 4]);
MonthPart:= tonumber({PremiumSoa.YrMo}[5 to 6]);
 
Date (YearPart,MonthPart,1)

Edited by DBlank - 14 Jan 2013 at 12:11pm
IP IP Logged
jbattelle
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 25
Quote jbattelle Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 12:41pm

Thanks. Worked perfectly.

IP IP Logged
blowinup
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote blowinup Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by DBlank

NumberVar YearPart;NumberVar MonthPart; WhilePrintingRecords; YearPart:= tonumber({PremiumSoa.YrMo}[1 to 4]);MonthPart:= tonumber({PremiumSoa.YrMo}[5 to 6]); Date (YearPart,MonthPart,1)


This isn't working for me. When I try to save the formula below it generates an error indicating that the first section, the NumberVars, needs to be a number.

If I add a 1 to the end of the last line the error indicates to many arguments.

Help please.

NumberVar YearPart;
NumberVar MonthPart;
NumberVar DayPart;

WhilePrintingRecords;

YearPart:= tonumber({person.date_of_birth}[1 To 4]);
MonthPart:= tonumber({person.date_of_birth}[5 To 6]);
DayPart:= tonumber({person.date_of_birth}[7 To 8]);

Date (YearPart,MonthPart,DayPart)
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 9:38am
What data type is your raw data and what are some sample rows?
IP IP Logged
blowinup
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote blowinup Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by DBlank

What data type is your raw data and what are some sample rows?


string(8)

20140328
20140328
20140328
20140329
20140329
20140329
20140330
20140330
20140331
20140331
20140402
20140403
20140403
20140406
20191030
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 9:59am
date(mid(field,5,2)+'/'+right(field,2)+'/'+left(field,4))
 
 
IP IP Logged
blowinup
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote blowinup Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 10:19am
Thanks so much for your quick help with this. Unfortunately I am getting an error when I plug in my field like this:

date(mid(person.date_of_birth,5,2)+'/'+right(person.date_of_birth,2)+'/'+left(person.date_of_birth,4))

The error reads "The ) is missing" and highlites the first person like this:

date(mid([person.date_of_birth,5,2)+'/'+right(person.date_of_birth,2)+'/'+left(person.date_of_birth,4))

IP IP Logged
blowinup
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote blowinup Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 10:24am
I also tried this and now I get an error that read, "A string is required here".

I get this same error when attempting to use 3 other formulas that reportedly work for others.

What am I doing wrong?
IP IP Logged
blowinup
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote blowinup Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by blowinup

I also tried this and now I get an error that read, "A string is required here".

I get this same error when attempting to use 3 other formulas that reportedly work for others.

What am I doing wrong?


Sorry, I forgot to include the formula that generates the error.

date(mid({person.date_of_birth},5,2)+'/'+right({person.date_of_birth},2)+'/'+left({person.date_of_birth},4))
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum