Joined: 03 Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Topic: Joins Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:07am
Hi
I know this is a long shot but... I have 2 tables I need to join. The programmer has manage to make the variable I need to join to in one table a string and the other table numeric???
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:16am
I have heard, but never tried that you can do a convert or cast (if these are available for your particular DB) on one of the fields. You will have to use a command (or if the programmer can make a stored procedure, all the better) and write some SQL.
Joined: 03 Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:57am
Thank you for the fantastically quick response, but I think that this may not be possible, it is a proprietary database with no access, (plus don't really understand your suggestion!)
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:13am
If you have two tables that need to be joined but the join field for each table is a different data type (one is string, another is a number). At least I believe that is what you are describing. Then you might be able to use some sort of conversion function (case, or convert in MS-SQL) to change the data type of one of the fields used in the join.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum