Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Shared Variables Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
brockloch
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 03 Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Quote brockloch Replybullet Topic: Shared Variables
     Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 1:42am
Hi
I have created a subreport with a shared variable and passed it to the main report - this all works great however I want to create a group on this shared variable - it isn't available to use - I am assuming it is not possible to do this.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ed
brockloch
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 5:09am
I do not see how it would be possible because of the order of processing crystal uses.  Grouping is done on Pass#1 and Hierarchical Grouping done on Pre-Pass#2.  Subreports are done on Pass#.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 4:56am
also, typically, shared variables return a single value, so how would CR group on it?

I know you can return an array, but I don't know how CR would use that to group...I would think that everything in the array would be one group.

As a rule, for CR to group on something, that something has to be intrinsic to the dataset, a field or a formula that acts on a field or fields...maybe another way of saying this is that the formula has to be deterministic just from reading the raw data. A shared variable is cannot be determined by just looking at the data...you have to do more work...and as kevlray states, it is in a later pass through the data.
IP IP Logged
brockloch
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 03 Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 76
Quote brockloch Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 11:15pm
Thanks for this, I think my ultimate aim was to have the shared variable in the main report as a formula with another variable in the main report, this would then be the basis of the group.

The main reason I am having to try this is that I have a report which uses table A & table B. I need all the data in table A but Table B only contains some of the variables from A therefore I am using a "Left Outer" join, which sort of works - but if the variable in Table A doesn't exist in table B the report return from Table B the first variable which starts with the same letter as Table A!
I feel the issue mat be more to be with the ODBC driver I am using.

Thank you all for your help.
brockloch
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum