Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Potentially Ugly Report to Create Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
bigjay2100
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote bigjay2100 Replybullet Topic: Potentially Ugly Report to Create
     Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 6:18am
Ok, I have a potentially ugly Crystal Report I need to create.

Here is what I need. We are an Org/Ind association. We have several of our Org records that have secondary locations to them. We flag the primary location as RS_1 category type with an Org member type. Secondary's are flagged as RS_2 category type and an Org Member type. These records are stored in the same SQL table and are matched up as the RS_2 CO_ID field matches the RS_1 ID field.

We also have a key contact for each of our orgs and that person is listed as an IN_3. Again, this record is in the same table in SQL as the records listed above and this record is tied to the Org record on CO_ID of the IND record is equal to the ID of the ORG record.

I am trying to create a report that will show only the RS_1 records that have RS_2 records tied to them. I don't need to see any record that doesn't have an RS_2 record tied to it. I also need to show who the IN_3 record holder is for that Org in the same report.

So...Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I am relatively new to Crystal and can do pretty much every basic function but this seems much more complex. I think this can be done by creating formulas but I don't know how to code it using an IF-THEN-ELSE function where I say If Category = RS_1 then display XXXX else skip record.

Thanks.

Jayson
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 4:55am
my standard answer, which may not apply to all, is to use a stored procedure as it will give you much more flexibility in manipulating your data.

for example, you can do a self join, not that you can't do this in CR, it's just probably simpler in a proc.

In Crystal you add the same table 2 times, and you would link them by the rs_2 id to the rs_2 co_id field...this will only give you records in one of the tables of the parent records, but you will also have duplicates in there are multiple rs_2 for the same rs_1.

HTH
IP IP Logged
hello
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 85
Quote hello Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 5:57am
It sounds like you have a table with a header record for each organization followed by multiple detail records.

If that's the case, you will need to make multiple passes through the table to first get the header records processed, then do the detail records.

You could do a sub-report along with the main report, or the easier way would be to create multiple select statements in a stored procedure like lockwelle suggested.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum