| Author |
Message |
Deceret
Newbie
Joined: 07 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Topic: Suppressing by Summary Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:03am |
|
Hey All,
So I've gotten quite stuck, and have no idea why and so look to your base of deep crystal understanding ;).
Essentially I have a header group which is for all records within the report, and another grouped section below it which is for records after a certain date. I am trying to suppress the header as well if it is not after said date, but to no avail.
I have tried several methods, and yet even when the field in the report meets the suppression condition, the section is not being suppressed.
I know the setup sounds funky, but I am trying to get Month to date sales for all films that sold in the last day, thus the report header needs to be all records.
Things I have tried:
suppress where sum of sales on date=0
suppress where maximum date on record is less then date of report
every combination of similar things in formulas
Changing the null values from default to exceptions.
Any idea you might have, or some big picture feature of suppression that I'm missing would be greatly appreciated!
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 4:00am |
to suppress a headeer you have to use a summary function that can be created using the insert summary. You cannot use variable formula or Running Totals.
You will have to explain some data and how you have it going right now to get more specific help
|
IP Logged |
|
Deceret
Newbie
Joined: 07 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 5:24am |
|
Hey DBlank,
Thanks for the response.
So basically I've created a Daily Sales report, except the parameters for the report actually allow for a much larger breadth of time so that the report can include historical trends. Up until now I've had a simple formula that basically says if a sale is on the reports date earmark it, then i've been sorting by that (getting me daily sales by product).
However there recently has been a request for the month to date sales to accompany the products in the grouping.
So essentially I need to group by a field that will grab the product types that have had sales on the day of the report, but grab them for the entire month.
For this MAXIMUM(sales date) seems to be the best, as well as being an insert summary. But I've been using that maximum against one of my parameters, which seems to not be allowable.
Any thoughts?
|
IP Logged |
|
Deceret
Newbie
Joined: 07 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 6:24am |
|
As I am reading through other issues of this type I think it might be helpful to just make it clear that my header group is more expansive (month to date) then the subgroups for it (records of today's date), so unfortunately I can't use the same suppress condition on the header as I use on the subgroups.
I recently tried to suppress on SUM(Sales for today)=0 field in the header, which, when in the report does in fact return 0, yet fails to suppress the group.
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 6:31am |
so you are trying to suppress the more expansive group header (month) or the per day group headers?
What is the exact relationship of the day groups that you waat to show/hide as compared to the parameter range that is entered at run time? Edited by DBlank - 10 Feb 2014 at 6:31am
|
IP Logged |
|
Deceret
Newbie
Joined: 07 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 12:55pm |
|
I want to suppress the more expansive group header.
Essentially this is the setup of my groups:
1.Type of Product - (Want to include Summary of sales for month to date)
2.Sales Summaries of Sub-type of Product for the current date only.
The issue being those with any sales in the last month show up in group 1 when I only want records that have had sales today (summaries in group 2)
|
IP Logged |
|
Deceret
Newbie
Joined: 07 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 1:17pm |
|
Okay. I figured it out.
Sorry for the vague descriptions of my issues.
Essentially what I was missing was this: When evaluating a group for suppression, a Summary field is over the whole report, not by group. So where I had suppress if
SUM(sales today)=0
it wasn't automatically breaking that summary into groups. This being the case, the solution is quite obvious (and I can't believe I didn't realize this is what was going on), suppress if:
SUM(Sales Today, {Type of Product})=0.
Anyways, Thank you for attempting to help!
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|