Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: CR9 - Selective Suppress detail lines by quantity Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
TJWheelz
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Dec 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote TJWheelz Replybullet Topic: CR9 - Selective Suppress detail lines by quantity
     Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 2:23am
I have a report that gives me detail based on and existing order.  The details show every line of detail for a specific item.  I would like to suppress the detail after it reaches the total quantity shipping plus 2 extra units.  I've tried various formulas with out success. 

Any ideas would be helpful.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 5:15am
in group header for specific item:
shared numbervar totShipped := 0;
shared numbervar shippingQty := x;//you will have to supply the number of the shipping quantity + 2...it might be a sum for the group, or some other criteria
"" // hide the zero on the report

in the section expert, for the detail section (since this is what you want to suppress):
shared numbervar totShipped;
shared numbervar shippingQty;

totShipped := totShipped + {table.field};
totShipped > shippingQty


this will keep a running total of the total quantity shipped, and when it exceeds the amount set, it will return TRUE, which will suppress the detail line, otherwise it will return FALSE, which will display the line.

Suppression is a bit odd, as true means hide and false means show...but if you look at it from 'Should I suppress this line of data' the true/false make perfect sense.

HTH
IP IP Logged
TJWheelz
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Dec 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote TJWheelz Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 5:44am
Thanks.  Forgive me, but I know how to add to the suppression of the detail, but where do I add the declaration for the group header variables?





Edited by TJWheelz - 27 Dec 2013 at 6:00am
IP IP Logged
TJWheelz
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Dec 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote TJWheelz Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:58am
I must have done something wrong. No matter the unit count, I only get 2 lines of detail. totShipped calculates correctly, but I don't get a line of detail for each addition.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 9:26am
hmmm...

well, first question...where do you initialize the group:
create a formula with the initialization code in it and place the formula in the group header. so much for the easy one.

if totShipped is calculating correctly, one would think that the issue would be with shippingQty...or the logic.
Here is what I would do:

Create a bunch of 'helper' formulas and display them in the detail section. I would remove or comment out the suppression logic...after all we are debugging here ;)

The helper functions would be like:
formula1: shared numbervar totShipped
formula2: shared numbervar shippingQty
formula3: shared numbervar totShipped;
          shared numbervar shippingQty;
          totShipped > shippingQty

etc...

since none of us 'knows' how CR works or what it 'sees' breaking the formulas into smaller parts and being able to compare it to the actual values in the report makes it easier to figure out what is happening.

as an aside...it just dawned on my that you don't really have to disable the logic in the suppression, just add the work 'false' to the end, so that the suppression will never take place.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum