Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: LPR Printer configuration on Crystal Server [BOE] Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Topic: LPR Printer configuration on Crystal Server [BOE]
     Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 9:48am
I am trying to configure an IBM 2085 printer that is on a Print Server  in our Crystal Server (BusinessObjects Enterprise) running on Windows Server 2008.  According to my findings, this printer needs to be accessed via LPD/LPR (Line Printer Daemon/Line Printer Remote protocols). 
 
The LPD/LPR was enabled/configured on the Windows Server via Control Panel.  I am able to successfully send a job to this printer from a command line: LPR -S ServerName -P PrinterQueueName test.txt. 
 
The BOE Central Mgmt Console (CMC) allows printers to be specified in the Crystal Server application via Applications - Crystal Reports Configuration - Printer List. I have successfully added other network printers using UNC [\\ServerName\PrinterName]. 
 
The issue that I am having is figuring out how to specify the LPR command for this Printer in the CMC Printer List. I have tried [LPR -S ServerName -P PrinterQueueName] but get Invalid Printer specified when I schedule and run the report. I am wondering if the LPR command is expecting a file name (like in my test command). I do not know if Crystal Server appends a temp file to the printer when running print jobs, but regardless, it does not work with my current LPR command in the Printer List. I have tried some variations (no spaces after command line switch, IP address instead of server name) but all failed with Invalid Printer specified.
 
If anyone has any experience configuring Crystal Server to use an LPR printer, I would appreciate any suggestions.
 
Thanks
 


Edited by statey603 - 25 Nov 2013 at 10:07am
-bill
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 8:11am
Update:
 
I figured this out and wanted to post my findings in case anyone else runs into this.
 
The printer had been configured in Windows Server 2008 as a local printer (with port tab configured to specify server and printer queue).  I believe configuring it this way, in essence, makes the Print Server Printer look and behave like a local printer to applications on the server. Therefore, there was no need to reference the Print Server or use lpr commands in the printer configuration in Crystal Server - CMC- Printer List. I simply added the local printer name to the Printer list, then restarted the AdaptiveJobServer.
 

 


Edited by statey603 - 27 Nov 2013 at 8:15am
-bill
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum