Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Updated Rpt loses Database Config Settings Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Topic: Updated Rpt loses Database Config Settings
     Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:43am

I have a report (created with Crystal Developer 2011) that was uploaded to the Business Objects Enterprise Server using Add - Local  Document [from CMC - Folders]. After it was uploaded, I set the Database Configuration as follows:

1. I set the [When viewing and scheduling report] options to [Use same database logon as when report is run]
2. I also entered the password in the [Use original database logon information from the report] section.
 
These changes were saved and everything worked as expected. We discovered that a change was need to this report. I exported it back to my local PC by Viewing the Report within CMC and selecting [Export this report] file format [Crystal Reports RPT]. The report was saved to my local PC. I made the minor modification to the report (text change in report header) using Crystal Developer 2011 and saved the change. Next, I went back into CMC and renamed the original report, then I used Add Local Document to import/upload the updated report from my PC to the server via CMC. When I check the Database Configuration, my selections for the following items were lost have been set back to default settings.
 
1. [When viewing and scheduling report] is set to [Promt the user for database login]
2. The password in the [Use original database logon information from the report] section is blank.
 
I have also confirmed that if I just export a report and immediately import via Add Local, this information is lost. We have many reports and having to reset this information every time we re-import to the server is going to be painful.
Does anyone know if there is a way for this information to be retained?
 
I appreciate any suggestions, corrections, comments.
 
 
 
-bill
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:07am
I think that when you import a report, it is a 'new' report to BOE, and as a new report does not have any settings.

I am no BOE expert, but perhaps editing the copy that is on BOE directly and then making a new schedule would work.

Again, no BOE expert...most of BOE is still a mystery to me.

HTH
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:12am
How would I edit the report on the server. I do not seem to have this capability. Does something need to be installed or enabled?
 
Currently, my only access to the Crystal Server [BOE] is via Central Mgmt Console and BI Launchpad.
 
thanks


Edited by statey603 - 07 Nov 2013 at 5:18am
-bill
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:19am
I know that I have opened the CR application and then had it open the report on the BOE server by connecting to the BOE server.

When I select Enterprise as the source, it gives a login to BOE. This will open the instance on the server, and when you save it, obviously, updates the version on the server.

As a caveat (from what Hilfy has written)...just changing the version on the server will not affect currently scheduled jobs, as when the job is scheduled, a snap-shot of the report is taken and 'linked'/'tagged'/'used' by the schedule. I think that updating the schedule would work, though creating a new schedule from an existing schedule and deleting the existing would seem to work better...and again, I really don't have any experience with this so I could be completely wrong...about the scheduling part

HTH
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:28am
OK. Gotcha.
 
I currently am not able to access the server from Crystal Developer 2011. when I select Enterprise I get Logon to BusinessObjects Enterprise dialog. I enter the System, User Name, Password and Authentication (same as I do when I log in to CMC) but I get the following error: Internal Error: an unknown exception has occurred. [Not very helpful].  I am assuming that perhaps [Enterprise] access needs to be enabled on the server.
 
I am not the server adminstrator and only have CMC and BI Launchpad access and cannot find anything in those areas but I really don't know what and where to look.
 
thanks 
 
 
-bill
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 4:27am
Sorry, I am not much better, I just know that I can do it, I don't know how to set it up...
IP IP Logged
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 4:48am
ha ha.
LOL
Well at least I know that it actually works which gives me something to strive for. My hands are tied until the official Server Administrator can investigate further.
Thanks.
-bill
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum