| Author |
Message |
JeffGeorge
Newbie
Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 13
|

Topic: Categorizing Data Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 7:09am |
|
Is there a tool of any type in Crystal Reports that allows you to supplement the source data you are using? For example, I want to design a P&L statement from the G/L detail in my SQL database. However, to make it easier I would like to be able to classify various account numbers with data such as Income, Overhead, etc., that does not exist in the SQL data. Is there some way I can use Crystal to categorize this data or am I going to have to embed in the report extremely lengthy criteria such as "accountno = x" OR "accountno = y" OR "accountno = z", ad infinitum? When you are dealing with a couple of thousand account numbers this could become a nightmare.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
kostya1122
Senior Member
Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 475
|

Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 9:49am |
|
i don't think there is a tool that can classify data based on nothing. you need to have some criteria.
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 5:06am |
|
going to agree with kostya1122...there isn't a tool, but thinking of datasets...
you could create a table or a set of tables in your database that has the classification. if creating additional tables is not an option, and while I have never done this, you could create an Excel spreadsheet with the classification and use that as a datasource to link to in Crystal.
The least favored idea, at least for me, would be to embed it in a report or a command object...those would be last resorts.
Hope this gives you an idea...
|
IP Logged |
|
JeffGeorge
Newbie
Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 13
|

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 5:14am |
|
I think the best idea is going to be creating an additional table. But since this table will never be updated by the application that uses the SQL database I'll have to make sure that any changes in the SQL data are reflected in this table.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|