Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Subreport Duplicates if last section suppressed Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
jlees
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote jlees Replybullet Topic: Subreport Duplicates if last section suppressed
     Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:33pm
DUPLICATING SECTIONS WHEN PREVIOUS SECTIONS ARE BLANK - SUBREPORTS

BACKGROUND

I'm using: Crystal Reports version 9.2.2.693

I have a report with seven detail sections, each of these sections containing a sub report (and nothing else). The subreports are configured with 'Suppress blank subreport' checked and the each of the sections is configured with 'Suppress blank section', 'New Page Before', 'Keep Together' and 'Free Form Placement' checked.

The main report only ever has one record which is used purely to link all the subreports.

PROBLEM / SYMPTOMS

When all subreports contain data the report prints perfectly.

If I switch off the 'Suppress blank section' option for the sections and one of the subreports has no data then the report just shows a blank page (as expected) for that subreport.

HOWEVER, If I switch the 'Suppress blank section' option back on and one of the subreports does NOT contain any data then that section is suppressed (as desired) BUT the next section is duplicated.

FURTHER INFORMATION

I have also tried creating a Group section for each report instead of the Detail section. I have tried rebuilding the report from scratch, adding reports one-by-one.

If I switch off the setting to Suppress Blank Report then I correctly get a blank page in the right place and the next section does not duplicate.

Any help with fixing or working around this will, I can assure you, be much appreciated.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 4:58am
Which version of Crystal are you using?  Don't go to Help/About to get this info - instead go to Uninstall Programs on the Control Panel.  It will show as either "Crystal Reports...." or "SAP Crystal Reports..." depending on the version you're running.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
jlees
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote jlees Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 5:22am
Hi, hilfy

Name: Crystal Reports 9
Publisher: Crystal Decisions, Inc.
Version: 9.2.2.5706

Hope this helps.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 5:40am
Ok, I don't have a copy of that older version handy that I can test with, so I'm shooting in the dark here....  Do you have the option for "New Page After" instead of "New Page Before"?  If so, I would try using that.  If that doesn't change things, I have some other thoughts, but this is the easiest one to check.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
jlees
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote jlees Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 5:51am
I have already tried that both but to no avail.

I have had an occasion where I changed a couple of settings (toggled between don't suppress and suppress) and suddenly the report worked as expected . . . but then I ran the report again and it was all back to the same problem. I haven't been able to repeat this since - odd!
IP IP Logged
jlees
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote jlees Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 5:57am
This has today become less important than it was as I spent yesterday evening on a work-around which involved showing blank sub-report pages with a suitable message so the section is still printed but with a 'no data'-type message. I have (for now) managed to convince my audience that this is actually a better way than to not show the sub-report at all.

So, for now, my search for a solution is more out of curiosity than necessity and to prepare for a change of mind or a future requirement so please don't bust a gut on this one.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum