Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Subreports save location Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
bremen
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 28 May 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 93
Quote bremen Replybullet Topic: Subreports save location
     Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 3:56am
Last question and this report will be finished.....
 
I have added two subreports to this report.  As this is my first time doing this im not sure how Crystal handles this.  Now that the report is complete I need to move the location of the report file to the active reports directory.  do i need to move the two subreports I added or now that they are added to a report are they permanatly part of the main report? 
IP IP Logged
joeg1962
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Mar 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Quote joeg1962 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 5:04am
Are your two subreports their own files, or are they part of your main report? If part of the main report, they exist with the main report. Otherwise, you may need to 'locate' the subreports again should the main report be moved.

To test, simply save your main report as a new name mainreport1. Then relocate it, and see how it operates?
That way, you will learn but still keep the original in good working order.



Edited by joeg1962 - 11 Jun 2013 at 5:05am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 5:18am
good question.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that they are part of the report and don't need to be moved.

With that said, I would move them so that I would move them for consistency sake.

Well, as a test, copy the report to new directory and or rename the original subreport files and then go into the design and see if you can edit the subreports in the report.

It's worth a try
HTH
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 6:35am
FYI: Once you add a subreport to a report.  It becomes part of the main report (unlike MS Report Builder).  If you want, you can save off a sub-report (handy for re-useability).
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 7:04am
NOTE: I believe if you use an existing report to insert as the sub report and you select the 're-import when opening' as true on the Format SubReport > subreport tab option that it will automatcially update the sub report when you change the original report (as long as you do not alter the name or location of the file). Therefore you can manage or alter multiple reports that share one subreport.
IP IP Logged
bremen
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 28 May 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 93
Quote bremen Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 4:43am
I tried just moving it over to the new location and everything worked fine. 
Thank you
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum