Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: How to do Top N with a parm promt? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
viperbyte
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 May 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 38
Quote viperbyte Replybullet Topic: How to do Top N with a parm promt?
     Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:58am
Good morning folks,
 
I have the need to be able to do a Top N group based on what what the user enters when prompted.  For now using the Top N select expert I went with the default of Top 5.  I also have created the parameter named "parmTopX" of type number.  In order to wire this thing up I took a look at the record and group selection formula editors but I have no idea what to write.  Can someone please help me?


Edited by viperbyte - 21 May 2013 at 2:59am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:59am
go into the Group Sort Expert
click on the formula field next to the 'Where N is'
insert your value here (just insert your param field)
{?parmTopX}
IP IP Logged
viperbyte
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 May 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 38
Quote viperbyte Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:05am
I can't find the Group Sort Expert.  Is this a CR11 feature?  I'm using 8.5.  Where do I find the place I need to be to do this fix in 8.5?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:09am
hmmm. I am not sure if it is in 8.5 I know it is in 10 and up.
look around a bit to see if you can find it.
It is only available for use if you group on a field and then insert a summary of a field at the group level. it must be one of the simple group summarizations field, nothing using while printing records or next/previous, etc.)


Edited by DBlank - 21 May 2013 at 4:09am
IP IP Logged
viperbyte
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 May 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 38
Quote viperbyte Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:31am
No such animal.  I think I'm going to have to go with another approach for the parm topX group thing.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:54am
is there a group sort in 8.5
IP IP Logged
viperbyte
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 May 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 38
Quote viperbyte Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:33am
Nope. My boss showed me a way after i squirmed for a couple of hours.  I'll post it later for others with the same 8.5 limitations.  Thanks for the help though, anyway.

Edited by viperbyte - 21 May 2013 at 5:33am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum